Sign in to follow this  
AvalancheDiode

A-10A and S-300PS Die Trying to shoot it down

I remember a coop MP mission in FC1 flying A-10As vs S300s. Your only hope was to take out the tracking radar with a Maverick on your first attempt, and you better be VERY low, unless there were other planes in the area to get fired at instead of you, letting you close in.

Actually, I got blown out of this self-made SP mission the first time. Then I realized that I shouldn't be approaching from the flat lands. That time I flew to the east of the SAM site and use the small hill to get into the envelop. And the first thing I take out is the command post. Without it, it won't fire a single shot.

There is a mountain top near the border of Abkhazia in Georgia proper that is flat enough and wide enough to put enough air-defense assets on it. I've tried putting a full Patriot battery plus a Buk-M1 system and a few ZSU-23-4s. I finally found a way to take out MPQ-53. It actually shoots down Kh-58 missiles.

I can't clear the mountain top myself. AI-controlled a/c are idiotic at best. Need some brains behind the cockpit to work together.

Ships are kind of idiotic. They really need to fix Ticonderoga, and give Perry two-target engagement capability, and priotize shooting down AShMs first. I know it's about 1990s technology, but Tico should be able to shoot down two Su-25Ts with all 4xKh-58 fired at it without a scratch.

Edited by AvalancheDiode

Yes, the anti-missile ability of SAMs is a bit too much. I don't think there's a single documented case of it happening ever aside from the Patriot/SCUD thing, but shooting down a Maverick???

Shooting down Mavericks is actually pretty easy with anything phase array. Tico's system was designed to engage multiple AS-6 attacks simultaneously, and that passive phase array radar system was designed in late 70s.

I just tried with both Su-25T/Kh-29T/Kh-25ML and A-10A with AGM-65D against 4x or 5x SA-9. They all shot at me and not the incoming missiles. Maybe it is because I flew into the envelop and AI prioritized to shoot at me. I will try fly higher above 15 angle tomorrow.

FWIW, I believe the issue is networking. In other words, an SA-9 by itself cannot. However, you put an SA-9 within a certain distance of an S-300 or something and now the SA-9 can intercept missiles too...even though in reality such networking is very difficult.