HomeFries

Need Mat Name for F/A-18C pilot body and helmet

I just made some changes to my A-10 & F/A-18C Pilot Photoshop Template, making some of the items more USN friendly, and I got the idea for updating the default VFA-94 Hornet with a custom pilot skin and helmet.

To this end, I was wondering if anybody has the 3DS Material Names for the F/A-18C pilot body and helmet (and F/A-18A just for the sake of completeness). I've tried the obvious names (e.g. pilot_f-18_body, pilot_f/a-18c_body, etc.) and had no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Jack, and sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Was contending with a family emergency for a month, then when I got back I got target fixated on the Huey.

Just a little detail as well for testing mat names: be sure that the skin under test is the first skin of that type to be tested (i.e. make sure the F/A-18 skin you're testing is the first F/A-18 in the mission), or else the matname under test will be skipped altogether. That's what I was doing wrong, though to be honest I didn't have any better luck when I tested it right.

So far I have tested the following mat names/combos:

pilot_x_body and pilot_x_helmet where x is:

• f18c
  • f-18c
  • f18
  • a-18c
  • f_a-18c
  • fa18
  • fa18c

I also tried pilot_f-18c and hgu55 for the pilot and helmet respectively. No luck with anything so far.

Jack, I'd love to get the matnames for the pilot/helmet so I could hook you up with detailed pilots for your line of skins.

Edited by HomeFries

Pilot's Body: Material Name: pilot_F18C_body, Texture name: pilot_fa-18c

Pilot's Helmet: Material Name: pilot_F18C_helmet, Texture name: hgu55

Pilot's Helmet Visor: Material Name: F18C_Helmet_Glass, Texture name hgu55

AFAIK, They are Case Sensitive.

I'll double check when I get home from office. Material names Might have changed with some of the recent updates.

Edited by SkateZilla

Thanks, Skate. I'll give them a go.

While I have your attention, do you know the mat name(s) for the Su-27 pilot?

Mat.: pilot_SU_body

tex: pilot_su

and the material names above are correct.

F-18C does use the same Normal map as the A-10 though

Edited by SkateZilla

And they work great!

Interestingly enough, I thought that if you were going with a new matname you had to make that skin under test the first in the sequence. With the Hornets, it was the last plane in the sequence (i.e. the -4) that had the visible custom textures, though I had no real way of discovering this until I knew the matnames.

So here is a taste of what's been done so far and what is to come:

VFA-103 Jolly Rogers line bird (by Jack). The pilot is the 2048x2048 texture built from my A-10/F-18 Pilot Template, with custom 1024x1024 helmets as well. For the generic USN helmet, I have a custom 1024x1024 helmet based on the reflective USN version of the HGU-55.

Screen_130528_232948_zpsf9ceaf18.jpg

For the CAG/CO birds, I have given the pilot skin Commander insignia. I realize that anybody flies the CO/CAG bird, but this is a symbolic gesture.

Screen_130528_233518_zps0045bd93.jpg

@Jack, if you would like, I'd be happy to create a collection of USN pilot skins for you to distribute with your excellent Hornet skins. Helmets may take more work, so they're not as high on my priority list, but I can do the pilots pretty quickly.

I just did the ones that you have already done, though in my template I do have other squadrons as well. Let me know what you're planning next and I'll look up the organizational patches and helmet art (doing that for every squadron is just too much).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MigBuster
      Interesting they have started this terrain....looks suspiciously like the Malvinas/Falklands although no sign of any of the aircraft that flew in that yet. So I guess chocks away in the Spitfire for a few years if it happens LOL

• By MigBuster
          Persian Gulf Map for DCS World, Now Available!

We are excited to announce that the Persian Gulf Map for DCS World is now available for download. This is our first modern-day combat theater outside of the Caucasus map, and it will provide many interesting and engaging historical and hypothetic scenarios. To purchase this new map for DCS World, please visit DCS e-shop.
      Please note that the Persian Gulf Map early access release is only for DCS World 2.5 Open Beta. Once the map becomes final, it will be available in the DCS World 2.5 Release version.
      The Persian Gulf Map for DCS World focuses on the Strait of Hormuz, which is the strategic choke point between the oil-rich Persian Gulf and the rest of the world. Flanked by Iran to the North and western-supported UAE and Oman to the south, this has been one of the world’s most dangerous flash points for decades. It was the location of Operation Praying Mantis in 1988 in which the US Navy sank several Iranian naval vessels.
      The region also includes the vast Arabian Sea that is well-suited for combat aircraft carrier operations, and it will be an amazing area of operations for the upcoming Hornet and Tomcat. Be it from land bases in Iran, UAE and Oman, or from the deck of an aircraft carrier, the Persian Gulf Map offers a wide array of combat mission scenarios to prove your mettle.

Key Features:
      201,000 sq km highly detailed map area that centers on the Strait of Hormuz. As part of DCS World 2.5, this map include highly detailed terrain, textures, seas, and buildings. 17 accurately created airbases in Iran, the UAE and Oman. Airbases include a variety of landing aids that can include TACAN, VASI lights, realistic approach lights, and VOR. Detailed cities such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Bandar Abbas with unique buildings. "Strong Hold" islands such as Abu Musa, Siri, and the Tunb islands. Iran, the UAE and Oman will be added to the list of DCS World nations. Unique trees, bushes, grass and other vegetation using speedtree technology. Varied terrain from towering mountains and valleys to desert plains. New map objects like super tankers, cargo ships, pleasure craft, and dhows. New Iranian liveries for ground and air units. Map expansion coming soon with Kerman and Shiraz airbases in Iran. DCS World Gift System
      A common request we've had from you, our customers, is a gift system to purchase DCS World products for others. It's here! The gift system allows you to purchase any product on the DCS World e-Shop and send them as gifts to other users registered on WWW.DCS-WORLD.COM.
      When in the "My Shopping Cart" store page, you now have a "Buy as a gift" button. Upon selection, you can then enter a DCS World username or their e-mail address to gift them the purchase; you can also leave them a comment.
      Your gift orders will also be listed in your DCS World Store page.
      Note that when purchasing a DCS World product as a gift, no bonus points are earned, but you can use bonus points to purchase a gift.
      DCS World and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
      On May 25th 2018, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) went into effect, a regulation that greatly influences how companies collect, process, and use personal data. Eagle Dynamics SA (EDSA) and The Fighter Collection (TFC) have updated their Privacy Policies to comply with new European Union data protection laws. Please read our Privacy Policy, which describes how we collect, use, and share your information to provide you a better game service. We've recently made important updates to our products and services to help you on your journey to GDPR readiness.
      Nothing is changing about your current settings or how your information is processed. Rather, we’ve improved the way we describe our practices in gathering statistics data.
      You can manage the content and information you share when you use DCS World and our website through Personal Section of DCS site.
      We store data for as long as it is necessary to provide products and services to you. Information associated with your account will be kept until your account is deleted, unless we no longer need the data to provide products and services.
      You can delete your account at any time. When you delete your account, we delete everything related to that account such as your personal information and purchase history.
      Sincerely,
      The Eagle Dynamics Team
    • By HomeFries

View File M-2000C: US Marine Corps Adversary Squadron VMFT-401 "Snipers"
      M-2000C: US Marine Corps Adversary Squadron VMFT-401 "Snipers"
      for DCS World 1.5.6 and later

VMFT-401 was commissioned in 1986 and in 1987 received the IAI Kfir (designated F-21A) under lease from the Israeli government. The "Snipers" flew the Kfir until 1989, when it transitioned to the F-5E Tiger II. This skin is inspired by the 1987-89 timeframe in which USN and USMC flew the Kfir, a delta-wing aircraft of French origin.

The Kfir was built by IAI based on the Mirage V airframe. The closest flyable substitute to the Kfir in DCS is the M-200C, so this is a fictional skin that paints the M-2000C as a USMC adversary. This skins uses the traditional Israeli Air Force desert pattern that was used on some of the VMFT-401 adversary aircraft. Since the original aircraft were leased and kept much of their original markings, so is the case with the M-2000C skins. No original markings (e.g. rescue arrows and safety markings) were subdued to match US paint schemes. However, minor liberties were taken with the pilot skins in order to make the pilots look more American.

For Compact Installations - A Note About Autoexec.cfg:
      Rather than copying texture files to their respective livery folders, I prefer to use a series of common texture folders along with unique filenames. This allows a single instance of many of my common textures, and keeps the hard drive footprint to a minimum (especially nice if you run a SSD for your system drive).

The installer will add a series of folders to the DCS Texture path; if you do not have these folders created, then it is no problem. The autoexec.cfg included will automatically point to the Texture folder in your Saved Games\DCS folder, and regardless of whether you run the Open Alpha, Open Beta, or Release version of DCS, the path will always point to your Saved Games\DCS\Texture folder. Again, this saves space on your hard drive.

If you use your own Autoexec.cfg, then when prompted to overwrite you can click "no". This will create a file called autoexec.new, and you can manually make the updates as you like. Just don't modify the top line with the file date; this is used by the installer for version control. However, feel free to include it in your existing autoexec.cfg, so you don't get prompted to overwrite until there's another update to the autoexec.cfg.

If you inadvertently overwrite your autoexec.cfg, it is actually backed up as autoexec.old. Just open it and copy the appropriate information to the new file.

For Traditional Installations or JSGME Compatible Extractions:
      If you don't wish to use the shared texture folder and custom autoexec.cfg, you have a couple of other options available. Selecting the Traditional Install copies all textures to each livery folder, then copies each livery to each version of DCS detected (up to three versions, including release, open alpha and open beta). As a result, the listed hard disk space requirement assumes all three DCS versions are installled. Each skin is independent and portable.

If you wish to install to a location other than your Saved Games folder, you must select the Single JSGME Extraction, or else the installation will fail for not detecting existing Saved Games\DCS folders. Selecting this option will create a JSGME compatible install that can be dropped directly into your JSGME _MODS folder for installation. Each skin is independent and portable.

For either of these installation options, if there is an issue with textures not displaying, then it is likely a problem with the installer. Please let me know what textures are missing so that I can troubleshoot the issue.

If you have any squadron requests, please PM me. If possible, provide top and profile views of the aircraft, preferably line art (much easier to extract color), and for CAG/CO birds, a close up of the tail fin is greatly appreciated.
      You are free to use any of these skins in other projects as long as proper credit is provided in the readme file.
      Fly Navy!
      -Home Fries
      Submitter HomeFries Submitted 03/08/2017 Category Misc/AI Aircraft Skins  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..