Sign in to follow this  
Geary

Captain Sim Weapon for FSX

Has anyone here besides firehawkordy tried Captain Sim's Weapon for FSX?

Looks great in YouTube videos and sounds great in the adverts, but before I commit to buying, I'd like a few more unbiased reviews.

Thanks,

Geary

I think it's great for helicopters and WWII aircraft, as they are mostly point and shoot. Finding the origin points for the guns is time consuming, but easy after a few tries. But they dont move, so you are stuck in one direction. So the Apache's trainable 30mm is only to the front. Rockets are good, as are Hellfires if they lock.

I've been hit and miss with modern aircraft. Mostly miss. Getting the aircraft's "radar" to lock onto a target for a radar missile launch (default aircraft or designated alternative) is kind of funky. IR missiles are easier. From the README, you can add specific targets aside from default buildings/aircraft, but I've been unable to do so. Again CS's forums arent the greatest source for help. They do provide some AI aircraft, but they are based over in Europe and difficult to find all the time.

On the positive, I have successfully added side firing guns to my IRIS AC-27J and enjoy using it on the range or on a "mission".

I think it's $10-15 now. If they have another sale, grab it.

-Jeff

I've had it since release - but I can't remember the last time I used it.

I did like it to start with and it seemed quite a lot of fun, but when I installed it at a later date it just seemed different, somehow, and I didn't like it so much. The guns shoot differently - I think it's a bug that others have complained about, but I didn't have on my first install. They seem to shoot well above where I'm aiming and above the centreline.

Never used the AA mode and radar - though I keep promising myself I'll try it, along with the scenarios Capt Sim provides, and their OpFor AI.

Now P3D v2 is out, I may never get around to it.

btw - if you do buy it, make sure you go and look in the relevant forum at Capt Sim, as many people have made custom ordnance and HUDs for it, along with posting config settings.

Edited by JDUK