HumanDrone

No..No..NOOOOOOOO (for a different reason - O/T)

Holy Moley!

So I download WOFF.  Yippee!  But I only have 26 GB free on my static drive.  Hmmm.  Well, I've had this problem for a while, after having moved my user accounts to the spinning drive, it still seemed that the Public Pictures were stored on the static drive.  As a matter of fact, the public Pictures folder showed up in two places: C:\Users\Public\Pictures and D:\Users\Public\Pictures.  The icon for the C:\Users\Public folder though, was a shortcut, but it's properties didn't show it's target directory.  I forget how I did all that and why the "Public" user hive was different.

Well, dang.  That folder is showing 49.7 GB!  How about I right click, properties, hmm, i can point it to the D:\Users\Public\Pictures and maybe that will eliminate the duplicates.  Hmmm.  Looking good!....  Let's see now... Start.. Pictures... GASP!  They are every one gone!  No recycle bin, no undo, they are just gone.... Three years of pics, my son's first flight this summer, our house from the air, Christmases. Birthdays, everything!  And the static drive still showed 26 GB free!  So they must not have been there after all!

Well, I wasn't completely without backup, but it wasn't 100%.  So I'm working with a file recovery utility to try to get them back.  And while I am at it (waiting...), I  created a new signature banner to commemorate the release of OFF and the resurgence of the BOC!

Windows should make it boneheadedly simple to put your user accounts & other bloating data wherever you bloody well want them.  Static drives aren't cheap!

And... guess who's going to be aggressive about his backups and restore points!  blush2.gif.pagespeed.ce.FfsTJsX8hN.gif

All I wanted to to was get WOFF installed, maybe go for a spin...

Wish me luck, fellow WOFFers!

Best,

Tom

Edited by HumanDrone

Sorry to hear that Human Drone, hope you can get back everything that's really precious.  It is an very timely reminder to myself to backup this weekend.

Yes, sadly we've all been there...as an avid facebook fan, i so often post photo's there, that I've now virtually got them all backed up for free

Thanks, men, and thanks for being a good sport about my topic title theft, Widowmaker!   Well, I used a freebie utility called Recuva and it seems I got them all back, but I now have 22,000+ images compeletely unsorted- funny, the program read the folders that the pictures had been in, but it did not re-create the structure in my recovery folder.  Oh, well, at least i have them, and the older ones were all backed up in folders anyway.

But sadly, all that and I still only have 26 GB on my static drive.  That's painfully slim for WOFF, and so igotta see what else I can dump...

Best, and go back'em up!  Glad I could serve as a prompter, at least!

Tom