A few weeks before WOFF was released, our computer stopped running CFS3/OFF.  I am presuming this means it will not run WOFF as it currently is. Digging around the internet, it looks like a Microsoft security update probably caused it to reject certain .dll files.  No suggestions I that have tried have worked.  The one that I haven't tried is to reload VISTA completely from the original disc.  The rest of my family use the computer, however, and I can't justify attempting this, even for WOFF.

From what I have read, and having vestigal computer knowledge, I came up with a cunning plan.  I wonder if any more knowledgeable forum users might be able to advise me on the vaidity of any of these options:

a) Installing VISTA on a separate hard drive that I have.  Booting up from this.  Running OFF from it's original location on my computer hard drive.

b) Installing VISTA and OFF on a separate hard drive .  Booting up and running OFF from this. 

c) Neither of the above as any idiot would know.

I was thinking of posting this at the other place, but some of the people there are big and fierce.

Thanks

Wayfarer

I think there would be little/no problem with option b; this is commonly referred to as "dual boot" arrangement (although typically it's actually complicated by having both OSes on the same exact hard disk).  Your way is somewhat different, though still perfectly viable, and perhaps even 'better' - you just have to work out how you'll choose which drive to boot from (usually this is a simple keystroke during POST, on most machines from the past 5-10 years or so...watch the screen at boot and see if it doesn't say something about a 'boot menu' or 'BBS popup').

Out of curiosity, do you know what the particular update was that caused the issue?

Best of luck.

Option B is obviously the best and has lots of advantages in that you can tailor that drive for OFF/WOFF only, like have no internet access or anti-virus installed.   I have done something similar in the past but for some other reason (which I forget now). 

Thank you both for your replies.

I was imagining choosing the drive during POST.  I don't know which update might have caused it.

A number of people who had encountered the same problem, and could not solve it by any of the easier fixes, believed it was due to a security update so I presumed my problem was.

Edited by Wayfarer

You've probably already thought of this: don't update the new OS install or you'll be back to square one.

Although I had in this case, It's never safe to assume I have thought of anything!

A reminder never hurts.

Thanks Tranquilo.

And (as I found out) if, for example you have a later Windoze OS mounted on, say your C drive and decide to install XP on your D drive DISCONNECT the C drive otherwise the older OS installation will stuff up the C drive OS, beit Vista or W7.  Dunno what it does exactly but it will never boot again. 

There is a 'dual boot' free program called EasyBCD which means you don't have to try to catch the BIOS boot POST thingy.  It comes up with a menu and you can then choose.  It also has a default which will boot the preferred system after n seconds (programmable).  Also works if you want to dual boot into UNIX or even DOS. 

I boot into W7 and use an Oracle Virtual Machine inside that for XP.  (this is so I can use XP printer drivers).  Both OS's run at the same time.  I don't think that would be a good idea for WOFF because I don't think the 'guest' OS can see a fancy GPU card.   And the OS's have to share memory when both are running, so much for each.  So in your case, don't bother. 

I've got dual boot on seperate hard drives - win7 and xp. I used PLOP boot loader for a while now it's just as easy to enter bios at start up. I had a look at EasyBCD, Jim but didn't fancy having my MBR tampered with. Do you find it OK to use?

Thanks for your further advice.

It is timely,  as I should have said 'external' hard drive earlier.  As you probably know, and I found out about 5 minutes ago, I can't install VISTA on a device that connects via USB.

So now I am considering partitioning our internal hard drive and your information is good to know.

Thanks for your further advice.

It is timely,  as I should have said 'external' hard drive earlier.  As you probably know, and I found out about 5 minutes ago, I can't install VISTA on a device that connects via USB.

So now I am considering partitioning our internal hard drive and your information is good to know.

You might cause the original OS to be stuffed up by installing another in a different partition of the same drive. Jim hinted at this in his post. I don't know enough to advise you there. Having said that I did install Ubuntu on the same drive as my win 7 for a while and that was OK. I think the problem may be that they will be the "same" OS. Have you got room in your PC for another Hard Drive? That would be the way to go.

I used EasyBCD for about a year before I decided to use Oracle Virtual Machine instead.  It means I don't have to boot into WinXP and then reboot to W7 just to print a CD (the Canon iP4600 driver for XP will print on CDs and 'proper' double sided whereas the W7 driver does neither.) 

If your 'external' drive is a normal 3.5" or 2.5" SATA drive you can remove it from it's USB enclosure, plug it into your desktop using the existing SATA power and signal connection, install whatever operationg system you like, remove it, refit into the USB enclosure and then boot from the USB.  May require a BIOS change to do this. 

I had to do this when I got a SSD drive as the Intel utility to transfer the OS and programs didn't work.  After doing the install  and copy of data on my desktop I transferred the SSD to my laptop. 

Thanks again guys.

I am starting to explore the idea of a second internal hard drive.

On an unrelated topic, Tranquilo how are you getting your BOC badge to display now? I got an error message when I tried to display it as per the original.

I used EasyBCD for about a year before I decided to use Oracle Virtual Machine instead.  It means I don't have to boot into WinXP and then reboot to W7 just to print a CD (the Canon iP4600 driver for XP will print on CDs and 'proper' double sided whereas the W7 driver does neither.) 

I know what you mean. I need to print both sides for a book I wrote for my students and only my old printer will do this and it only works in XP. I've got a virtual pc within win7 now for that purpose (and to run some old bespoke accounting software). I keep a seperate XP on a different hard drive for old games that don't like anything later.

Wayfarer: I uploaded it to photobucket and put a link in my signature. Must admit it took several goes to get it done right. It never did work if it was linked to my gallery here on CA, don't know why.

I know what you mean. I need to print both sides for a book I wrote for my students and only my old printer will do this and it only works in XP. I've got a virtual pc within win7 now for that purpose (and to run some old bespoke accounting software). I keep a seperate XP on a different hard drive for old games that don't like anything later.

Great minds think alike! :biggrin: