Sign in to follow this  
JimAttrill

Is CFS3 worth trying?

Jim, when you run CFS3, then exit, it records the aircraft you were flying. Next time you boot up, it's the aircraft you last flew on the runway. CFS3 writes this in your uisel file, which is external to your CFS3 directory. If you have multiple versions of CFS3, but don't use the multiCFS3 utility, each version of CFS3 writes on top of each other's uisel file. When CFS3 cannot find something it needs to boot up, it doesn't substitute a default, it crashes and kicks you out.

Because it's written outside your CFS3 directory, you can erase and reinstall CFS3 but it doesn't touch the problem since the settings still remain.

OFF won't conflict, because OFF writes its uisel settings elsewhere.

I'm not 100% sure that's your problem, but everything you've said does fit the pattern.

Edited by Flyby PC

Lancasters Mudwasp48, I'm sure there's a Firepower patch that gives you a modified Lanc to drop the massive Upkeep Bombs, and there's a Liberator too. And a B29, although I can't remember if that was in the patch.

Edit: These Firepower aircraft don't work with ETO effects. You'd need to modify the individual aircraft XDP files to fly ETO with Firepower Aircraft.

I've seen everything work in CFS3, until I packed it in anyway, but some things require the patience of a saint to get all the planets lined up correctly so that the mod works. Your fully functional effects XML became more sacred to you than your Bank account pin number, and then some new thing would come out and tell you to add a couple more lines.... What could possibly go wrong?

Back up the effects file you say. Well yes, that works for a time, until you have 20+ backups, and 19 backups you're memory is a bit foggy about. You could delete them, but that will anger the God's in CFS3. They will demand retribution for your heresy, and make your installation crash again and again and again for no apparent reason. And worse, some effects that did work now don't.

Edited by Flyby PC
  • Like 1

What could possibly go wrong?

Back up the effects file you say. Well yes, that works for a time, until you have 20+ backups, and 19 backups you're memory is a bit foggy about. You could delete them, but that will anger the God's in CFS3. They will demand retribution for your heresy, and make your installation crash again and again and again for no apparent reason. And worse, some effects that did work now don't.

Good to see that kind of torture carry on through so many of the MS flight sim initiatives in order to share the pain.  I shared some of that in FSX and got to the point where the sheer volume of add-ons required a special ritual prior to each flight in order for those God's to be appeased.  Then, this last weekend, in a fit of idiocy I added the Vertigo Studios Dauntless and I've now got FM nightmares to sort...over-trim, under-trim, smoke pouring from the engine cowling when the keyboard master light switch is punched...wobbling through the air...straight is doable, level is more like a porpoise on drammamine (queue the song from "Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines")...why oh why did I add another model?  Then, last evening, after indulging in a wee dram of fine single malt I laughed at those same Gods.  Laughed!  I loaded another new model, the F4U Corsaire from A2A's Aircraft Factory.  It was likened to being in a dream...soaring high, rolling, twisting, diving, no FM troubles...at all...landing safely I thanked Them...humbled.  The Gods of All MS Flight Sims are fickle indeed. [./endBlather]

Kind regards,

Dave