Sign in to follow this  
mppd

AI aircraft starting single mission not on runway?

After so long, I am finally playing around with some single mission mods or newly created ones in WOV. Has anyone ever had any success with starting the AI-controlled aircraft in a flight somewhere other than the end of the runway? You may start in a hangar or revetment, but the rest of your flight is still at the end of the runway - you can delay their appearance to give you some time to catch up, but the can never start on a taxiway in my experiments. This is always a little unrealistic, Is this a known bug? - never really saw it written out anywhere if it is.

Also one more groundobject scenery item question. How do I get an object (custom revetments) to stop randomly disappearing? I used similar item .ini file settings, and some stay put (ramp, buildings, etc), while others flash off sometimes at even very close range taxiing on the ramp - leaving the shadow still showing.

Thanks

Edited by mppd

The start positions are defined in the xxx_airfield.ini for each airfield type. Of course you can set the position to a place where you want, but the AI plane will start the take off run from this position and the other planes will move to the defined start position too.

What means, if you set the position for your plane in a hangar and the rest of your squadron is standing on the taxiway, then you may  move your plane along the taxiways to the runway and start there by hand. But the AI planes will move from their taxiwayposition to the Hangar and will begin the takeoffrun from there and not on the runway. The same will happen if you let the autopilot start your plane.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1

You can have other flights start somewhere other than the runway...but Gepard is correct.  Your own flight will be different.

FC

O.K. thanks for the replies. I will try a few of the taxi position offset locations for airfield6 and see if I can make the AI flight appear somewhere else. So far, no matter what start location I try, the AI flight appears ready for takeoff at runway's end. I even tried specific locations and headings as waypoints along the taxiway, but as I said, they simply appear at runway's end and ignore the start position and taxi instructions completely. I make the player aircraft in its own flight and simply join up on the other three or seven plane formation after takeoff. My guess is that if I make my own flight have several more aircraft (with my start inside the revetment) - they will be waiting at runway's end for me...

Edit: I tried a half dozen starting positions using the airfield.ini locations - they always appear ready for takeoff. If anyone can post the first couple of start/takeoff positions from Ubon where they appear ANYWHERE else other than runway's end, I would sure appreciate it. I suspect this is a known bug - I downloaded many many user-created mission files and no one has one where the AI flight starts anywhere else.

By the way, I got the ground objects to appear correctly by breaking them up into smaller pieces and placing them individually in the targets.ini file for the airfield.

Edited by mppd