Sign in to follow this  
MrGoTime

Comprehensive WW2 install

SF2 Team,

I've got that flight bug again and have reinstalled all of my SF2 games. I'm in the process of adding the many, many mods that enhance the flight experience. Traditionally, I've never used SF2 as a WW2 sim (I've always defaulted to the IL-2 1946 set with some modding to scratch that itch). However, I've seen quite a few planes and stuff in the DL section and am wondering the following -

Do any of you have a comprehensive WW2 install you've set up? And if so, what are some of the key components? 

Are there any WW2 campaigns for the SF2 games? 

Any advice here is much appreciated. Thank you!

As info, I was able to figure this out. From my perspective, a WW2 SF2 flyer has a few options. You could hand build one with the sources available here on combatace, or use capun's website to pick up an all inclusive package. 

unfortunately, you have to use both.

mine are all hand built, and I've 'cherry picked' what aircraft or other objects I've needed from the varying sources.

on the down side, any ww2 campaign that were created, were done sooooooooooooo long ago, that they'd need a complete rebuilds from the bottom up to work in sf2.

So, indeed, the SF2 WW2 player is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think Capun released a campaign on his site as well? I'll double check. I would LOVE to get some medium and heavy bombing runs going on in the SF2 engine. 

their all-inclusive ETO mod came out a couple of weeks ago.

Shoot, I've had a heck of a time trying to get that install up and working. It's probably because I have a slower internet speed or something, but I'm getting CRC fail issues every time I try to unzip the files. I've tried both the small packages and the big one. I'm going to try WinRAR tonight after work and see that works a bit better...maybe just skip the failed files and try and replace them after the fact. 

Did you get one up and working? Is the SF2 engine pretty good for a WW2 install?

SF2 works fine for me!! All mine are built from the NA exe, as carriers are needed on a lot of the terrains

I d/led it, but haven't installed it. I have everything (pretty much) already. Considering the EAW Euro terrain is mine (ok, my complete rebuild of the 2004 version). Excepting some of their "newer" aircraft.

I guess I mainly just liked the idea of the campaigns that capun added, and don't have the know-how yet to put stuff like that together. Its very possible that I'll end up handcrafting my WW2 install. Did you just use mostly downloads from the combatace section, then?

And update just in case anyone is checking this. I was able to get the install up and running (campaigns and all). and it's great. I think I just had some corrupted downloads. But Capun's A-Team's all inclusive install includes a lot of good stuff. My only beef is that your bomber formations are small (but that may be an engine limitation).   SF2 engine works well though and looks good. I love the idea what I could take my WW2 vet pilot when I'm done and transfer the file over and keep him flying into the Korean conflict and so on. 

SF2 has a glitch with bomber formations. One of the reasons I pontificate on "leave the heavies under AI control".

Unfortunately, the same can be said for lights and mediums, too (Boston/Havoc, Marauder, Blenheim, Beaufort, etc)

Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to come up with some sort of semi-realistic rationale in my brain for why I've only got one wingmate in my bomber formation :-) 

Either way...it's impressive to me that SF2 is such a good engine that I can fly from the early 1900s all the way into the 90s and beyond in the same engine. 

Wrench - thanks for the help.