McDonnell Douglas Phantom F.3 - No.11 Squadron, RAF Strike Command, 1985

Following the 1982 Falklands War the UK Government decided to upgrade the Falkland Islands defences by deploying a squadron of Phantom FGR.2's but realising that this would weaken the UK's interceptor force they looked for an interim stop-gap until the Tornado F.3 was available in sufficient numbers. The closeness of the Thatcher-Reagan relationship soon saw a US offer of 48 ex-USN F-4S Phantoms made to the UK Government, sufficient to not only reform No.74 squadron but also replace the two Lightning squadrons at RAF Binbrook and thus upgrade the UK's air defences. 

RAFPHANTOMF304_zpsf6e04048.jpg

RAFPHANTOMF301_zps75c4d8b3.jpg

RAFPHANTOMF302_zps8c02ea36.jpg

RAFPHANTOMF303_zpsa7772873.jpg

• Like 2

what S is that?  its got the slats  but no slimers or DECM  which are bigger hallmarks of the S than the slats (1st 48 were delivered w/o slats then retrofitted later)

not nitpicking,  curious as the only S models i knew of had the slimers and decm

nitpicking is to say that the RAF never actually called it the F.3 but rather F-4S(UK).  even kept the american kit to expedite service entry :biggrin:

Edited by daddyairplanes

what S is that?  its got the slats  but no slimers or DECM  which are bigger hallmarks of the S than the slats (1st 48 were delivered w/o slats then retrofitted later)

not nitpicking,  curious as the only S models i knew of had the slimers and decm

It's the MF 'S' that's undergone the SPRP

Spinners' Parts Removal Programme

• Like 1

Know how most worked. Lemme know how you got the wingtips lights removed as that stopped a RF-4B project some time ago. But i know someone else that could benefit from that knowledge. When last i worked it the tail and fuselage dissapeared fine but wing tpis left a hole...

I'm at work right now but mue's LOD viewer will show you. I think they're labelled as RWR's not lights.