Sign in to follow this  
1040stf

SF2 applet for LCD display (Logitech keyboard) ?

Hi,

I own a Logitech G510 with a black and white LCD display.
Such applets were developped for other games, so I was wondering if someone got this same idea for SF2.

The applet retrieves data from the game and displays them on the LCD, using various locations, images and text display.

Do you know if someone has developped an applet for this keyboard and SF2 ?
It would be useful to me to display miscellaneous things such as:
- airbrake (opened or not)
- flaps (same)

- afterburner engaged

Many thanks.

Edited by 1040stf

For this to happen, one of two things needs to be true:

1) Third Wire needs to expose the desired variables to programmers to make it easy to port the data to external software/hardware. Games that have applets generally had some sort of documentation/toolkit that would tell you how to exchange information between the game and other software and/or hardware. This is by far the easiest, best solution, but requires a lot of work on the developer's part. Multiple variables need to be gathered and communicated without impacting the speed/flow of the game. In SF2, debug mode exposes a few flight modeling parameters to the display. If there were an ini file that permitted the selection of instrument parameters and sent them to a file that could be shared at a decent frequency, it could work. The control aspects could be handled through DirectX/keyboard emulation as per other dedicated controllers.

2) Someone has to reverse engineer the SF2 exe so that they can make an application that can detect and locate the required variables in memory at run time. The application would have to read from key memory locations without disturbing the game. This could slow and/or crash the game unless the looping cycle and memory management of the game are fully understood. Someone could waste a lot of time trying to do this and still never succeed. So far, no one has publicly acknowledged having attempted this process.

Thank you streakeagle for the detailed answer.

It is a shame TK does not support SF2 anymore for PC (at least this is what I understand from his lack of communication for PC games and this has beed debated many times here).

So I can say goodbye to my customized head down display ;)

Fortunately, I can still find a lot of fun here :)