Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

F-4J/S Phantom II released

As tempting as the Milviz F-4E and F-4S are... $60 and adding TacPack later will cost more? Not even an expected release date for TacPack despite F-4E having been out for quite some time. And people think DCS charges too much for individual aircraft? The Simworks Studios F-4B looks more promising than the Milviz offerings. But whichever of them is released in a fully functioning state including properly operating weapons and radar will get my money. At the present rate, 6 months to a year before one of the two even claims to have reached that state?

Agree! Just a shame the price couldnt be reduced some more 

$60 with free TacPack upgrade sounds more realistic to me. A comparable DCS aircraft is typically $50 and frequently goes on sail for $40 or less. Of course, I would also have to buy TacPack. I would also have to decide whether to use FSX, FSX:SE, or buy Prepar3d.

Prepar3d looks appealing, but keeps changing and addons don't necessarily maintain compatibility. I am not sure if FSX:SE is a better choice, because it already is a bit different from vanilla FSX and keeps changing. But the alternative is to stay with the bugs and performance issues of the now very old FSX.

Against better judgement,  I committed to the Simworks Studios F-4B and TacPack/Superbug for FSX/FSX:SE. I am currently running FSX:SE. It turns out the FSX (and FSX:SE) don't like the past couple of years of AMD gpu drivers, especially when DX10 is enabled. I haven't researched whether Prepar3d also has similar issues with AMD drivers. But I may end up buying TacPack/Superbug again if I decide to try Prepar3d. Right now the F-4B is in beta and a bit raw. When it is finalized, I will make a decision on whether or not I intend to keep flying it. If I do, I will take whatever path is best to fix my graphics issues and have the best FSX type experience whether that means switching to Prepar3d or buying an nVidia card. Once I know where I stand, I can then consider buying the Milviz Phantoms.

In my brief experience with TacPack, the Superbug, and the F-4B, DCS World is still my preferred air combat sim engine, not even counting the combat part. Even with TacPack and the Superbug working 100% correct (as far as I can tell), it is a clunky installation which does not easily match up with my HOTAS and MFDs. Single player combat options are very limited and I wouldn't expect multiplayer to be much better due to plane set limitations.

For all its limitations, I do find the FSX/TacPack/Superbug and F-4B to be quite impressive... approaching DCS capabilities WITH a 100% full scale global map. I live in Orlando near the big airport and work in Kissimmee near its smaller air port (with P-51Ds and L-39s flying almost every day). I cannot take off from Kissimmee in an F-4B and buzz Epcot and Cinderella's Castle in DCS World. Most importantly, I cannot even fly an F-4B at all in DCS World. The MiG-21bis is a great plane to fly in DCS, but a late-block USAF slatted F-4E would be a fantastic experience for both air-to-air and air-to-ground simmers.

Cool. i just got FSX steam version with acceleration for $7.50 as there was a sale last week. No tacpak yet but got the milviz Stuka as my first payware plane. Hoping to get one a mth from milviz starting next mth with their f-86 sabre jet. DCS would require me gettign a whole new rig.

sabre here:

Edited by dsawan

Make no mistake, I like DCS World far more than what I have seen so far of FSX/TacPack for air combat. But for now it is the only way to go for a nearly DCS level F-4 Phantom. The global map of FSX is far better for just simply flying around with all of the detailed ultra-realistic addons. My interest would be in areas I have lived: Tampa, San Diego, San Francisco, and presently Orlando/Kissimmee. I would also want Bogota, Colombia since my family visits there regularly.

Make no mistake, I like DCS World far more than what I have seen so far of FSX/TacPack for air combat. But for now it is the only way to go for a nearly DCS level F-4 Phantom. The global map of FSX is far better for just simply flying around with all of the detailed ultra-realistic addons. My interest would be in areas I have lived: Tampa, San Diego, San Francisco, and presently Orlando/Kissimmee. I would also want Bogota, Colombia since my family visits there regularly.

Hello streakeagle,

Currently have FSX:SE uninstalled (nowadays I'm getting more time on DCS), but last year my FSX had:

- Aerosoft F-14X ;

- VRS TacPack ;

- Mile High SIms NAS Miramar (TOPGUN, circa 1986) - outstanding add-on ;

To those who appreciate the TOPGUN concept, I've found it very immersive, and flawlessly represented.

Since you mentioned San Diego, have you considered trying the ' MHS ' NAS Miramar scenario ?