Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Replaced F-4 B-8 with Warthog stick

After all of these years of PC flying with some variant of a real F-4 Phantom's B-8 grip and stick, I have removed/replaced it with the Warthog stick that has been collecting dust for so long. The B-8 grip is impractical for any "modern" aircraft (if an aircraft flying since the '70s can be called modern?). The BU0836X was adequate as a USB stick controller, but the linear pot I was using for the pitch axis was high maintenance. If I didn't periodically clean it with alcohol, it was very noisy. The precision and accuracy of the Warthog is far superior with little or no maintenance. With a 15 cm extension from Sahaj, the "sticktion" and clunky transition across the center is largely overcome. I selected the extension to match the physical throw of the real F-4 stick (i.e. maximum linear displacement of the top of the stick from center). The Warthog is also mounted to match the height of the real stick.

As nice as the new installation is, removing the B-8 comes at a price. The B-8, like the AR-15 and 1911A1, fit my hand perfectly. The engraved diamond checker pattern made it feel as comfortable as the stock 1911A1 pistol grip. The B-8 also does not feel like cold metal and angular like the Warthog stick does. I used some fairly stiff springs for the pitch axis on the F-4/B-8. Near the center felt smooth and light, but holding the stick back took some strength and even cause muscle fatigue if constantly used. Surprisingly, the Warthog springs have enough tension to self center despite the increase in weight and lever action caused by the 15 cm extension. But I can't feel any change in tension as I pull the stick back, so it is impossible to fly by "feel" the way I could with my hard sprung custom F-4/B-8 stick. The new installation did not damage the old one in any way, so I can always revert back if I want to. I also have a spare B-8 grip that could be adapted into a Warthog stick if I had the guts of a Cougar or Warthog to put inside of it.

Here is the end result:

post-1150-0-13173100-1452222207_thumb.jpg

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 4

Looks good my friend. 

I am really missing the B-8 stick after so many years of flying with it. With the extension, I have no feel. The return to center force is pretty much constant no matter how far I pull the stick back. I also need to try one or more of the online solutions for "sticktion". The extension reduces that effect, but does not eliminate it when I want to make very small corrections. Also, the cold anglular metal of the Warthog doesn't feel as good as the molded resin rounded and checkerboard textured grips of the B-8.

I need to do two things at a minimum: retrofit a spring between the front of the Warthog extension and my home built stick cover box so that I can feel how far I have pulled back on the stick and figure out which lubricant will eliminate sticktion without damaging the Warthog. I don't know if I will get around to doing either one anytime soon, but it drives me crazy in a dogfight. Almost enough to bolt the B-8 stick back in despite the high maintenance pots. But I need the Warthog for the extra buttons/hats for more advanced aircraft and really like the extra precision of the virtually noise free 16-bit hall effect sensors. I guess I need to make an adapter to mate my B-8 grip with the Warthog for flying the F-86 and UH-1 and any other aircraft old enough to have similar button/hat/trigger configurations.

A simple sturdy box can be built to mount a Warthog stick similar to the above using only standard 1x6 lumber.

It is smaller and simpler than mine since it isn't intended to look exactly like an F-4 stick enclosure.

If a 15 cm extension is used, this box will put the stick at the same height from the floor as an F-4 stick with the same range of motion in the pitch axis.

The placement of the Warthog stick mounting holes is only approximate, the actual spacing between the holes is a metric measurement of 60 mm, which is  2.362 in.

The original metal plate that the Warthog stick is mounted on can be used as a template for marking/drilling the mounting holes in the wood.

The image below assumes the actual dimensions of the lumber will be 3/4" x 5-1/2":

post-1150-0-10390600-1453265504_thumb.jpg

Edited by streakeagle

Some things were changed on the fly as I got more parts that were really used for the seat and/or adjusted to problems encountered during construction. Here are some screenshots of my original sketchup design, which is still a very accurate representation of what I actually built despite any changes/short cuts I ultimately took:

post-1150-0-63150900-1453337587_thumb.jpg

post-1150-0-03457600-1453337601_thumb.jpg

post-1150-0-21484700-1453337616_thumb.jpg