CaptSopwith

Returning to the Unfriendly Skies

Well now, it has been a little while since I last posted. November to be exact... :blush: 

My apologies for the considerable delay in my presence around here. RL has gotten incredibly busy as I'm in the last stages of closing in on my degree. With holiday travel back and forth I've had very little time in front of the gaming computer. Toss in some surprise Christmas presents in the form of Battlefield 4 for PC and a brand new PlayStation 4 with Star Wars Battlefront thrown in, and the time quickly got away from me.

But I have to say, the other night I finally had some gaming time that was longer than the 20 minute chunks I've been working with lately, and I got back to some WOFF.

My 1916 German pilot has survived a few weeks of combat duty and even notched up his first confirmed victory (so that's 1 for 3 so far) and I was terrified of losing him so I spent about two hours bouncing around the fantastic Quick Scenarios that WOFF has to offer. Bombing runs, balloon busting and defense, close air support and of course, the massive furball dogfights of 1918. I'm also happy to say that I have fine tuned the graphic settings in WOFF and the game looks gorgeous! At this point, even with my nvidia GTX 745, I'm running all of my settings on 5, with the exception of scenery detail, which I have ticked at 4. I've got all of the graphical goodies cranked up on my video card settings and the skies are stunning.

I'll say this as well, the new games are fantastic. The attention to detail in Star Wars Battlefront is astonishing for any fan of the series. And the set pieces in Battlefield 4 are epic. But, like getting back to a classic Jazz album after listening to just so much pop, there is an explosion of endorphins when I fire up WOFF. It's not just entertaining for the eyes and the twitch reflexes, but it's the most immersive digital experience I've ever had for my brain. Flying some training flights for my soon to be certified 1916 ESC LAF pilot, I noticed the smoke from the trains steaming out of Paris as I sat in the observer's seat on my first flight. Back over the lines, I could hear the eerie echo of the barrages as our early war Halberstadt's flew over the front. The explosions below combined with the atmosphere of it all - the haze of the summer sky, the lighting casting shadows across my wings and the patches of dark earth from the cloud's shadows below. It completely sucks you in.

Rather than those 20 minute bursts in star fighter or cargo, I lost two HOURS simply flying and staying alive. I love how different the goals are in this sim. It's not about racking up victories, it's about the incredible, soul-satisfying feeling of your wheels touching down on friendly grass after an hour up in the very unfriendly skies of WOFF.

Hoping to post far more often. I've missed hearing your exploits and tales from the front and darn if I haven't missed seeing the familiar names around here.

Hope you guys are well. If you have time, give me a shout and let me know what you've been up to!

Cheers!

:drunks: 

Soppy

Welcome back Soppy!  Great to see you around camp again, though to be fair this camp has been fairly quiet for quite some time.  I can appreciate RL keeping you far too busy, I'm in the same boat myself.  Hope to read reports of your WOFF exploits in the very near future.

Cheers, and new - er umm - returning lads buy the drinks!

:drinks:

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Hi Lou! Glad to see you around as well mate! Hoping the boards will get a bit more active again. I was just looking over the DiD Campaign rules. Might be time to set up a pilot and see how long I can coax him through the war. Given my survival rate (how far below 1% can you go before it no longer counts?), I might work my way through the alphabet with disturbing speed!

I'll be glad to buy you around my friend. What'll have?  :drinks:

Given my survival rate (how far below 1% can you go before it no longer counts?), I might work my way through the alphabet with disturbing speed!

That happened to most of us, Soppy! It was a looong learning curve for me, and still it hasn't reached it's top.

All I can suggest is, to fly VERY defensive and engage and shoot only when it is a certain kill, and nobody else

is after the same prey (collision is my No. 1 killer).

All good advice surely - but I KNOW how hard it is to follow it!

Life is getting very dodgy in the DiD Campaign as we are now at last in 1918 and it is hard to survive.    But give it a bash - Lou is still on his 'A' first name pilot with a huge score.  Others have gone up the alphabet a bit as their pilots are promoted upwards :angel: