Sign in to follow this  
orsin

Mirage F-1C doesn't start on certain maps

Lately I noticed my SF2NA doesn't start properly at times. It appears that the game has started, and I can hear the radio conversation, or even turn on auto pilot. However the SCREEN is still stuck at 80-90% loading and never turn to the actual game scene.

After nearly 10 hours drilling down the cause, it turn out to be the Mirage F1C series. Whenever the game take them as battle aircraft or parked aircraft, the problem occurs.

Strangely this only occurs on certain maps, modded Genmany (Rend's), modded Israel (Stary) and stock Iceland. F1C is the only plane that I found caused the problem. Occasionally the game loads to the runway, but all planes are placed in the center of the runway and blast into fireballs.

Any thoughts?

don't know about the other issues (but I can guess perhaps a limited nations issue, with France not being in the terrains nations list??)

as to appearing in the middle of a runway and exploding, is usually a fault of the ***_airfield ini for those airfield NOT being present in the terrain's folder. 

Which should not be the case, as GermanyCE, IsraelME and IcelandNA all have their own respective airfield inis residing in their cat files.

NA, of all the main titles, seems to have it own set of problems that the other 4 don't. (like sound issues)

This problem has been concluded to the 4096 x 4096 BMPs and JPGs used in Mirage F-1C. Somehow the game engine or the video driver doesn't like it. The more planes in the game the less the stability. When it goes beyond a certain quantity, the game starts without the 3D world initialized.

While the modern video cards can handle textures of large size with no problem, it seems suspicious that somewhere in the game engine there is a limit. Reduction of the texture size to 2048 is a great boost of stability.

Edited by orsin