Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Interceptor: How how to fight & survive in Phantom & Tornado

https://hushkit.net/2016/05/01/interceptor-how-how-to-fight-survive-in-phantom-and-tornado/

During the Cold War, Britain’s greatest fear was an attack from the Soviet Union. The communist superpower was equipped with a vast armada of heavy bombers capable of delivering nuclear armageddon to the United Kingdom hundreds of times over. Against this potential annihilation stood a force of RAF interceptors. In charge of the weapon systems of these supersonic guardians was a team of highly-trained Navigators. Hush-Kit spoke to former RAF Navigator David Gledhill to find out more.  

• Like 3

Thanks.! Most interesting. Funny even in wing over Europe, I have never been able to  intercept a TU-95

Intercepting them is easy......shooting them down not so (depending)

C. How would an F-4 ‘fight’ a EE Lightning?

“The Lightning was an agile performer at all heights but suffered from an obsolete radar, limited capability missiles and a lack of fuel. The key would be to make best use of beyond visual range weapons, ideally, to achieve a kill before the merge. The Lightning emitted less smoke which meant a Phantom would often be seen before seeing the Lightning. Once visual a Lightning had the edge over a Phantom but was probably on equal footing with an F3 except at high level where the Lightning was superior. Pilots would use the vertical to keep a Lightning at bay until the opportunity for a forward hemisphere shot, either Skyflash or AIM-9L presented itself. In the days before those missiles were fielded, a stalemate was more likely. If the fight was prolonged, the Lightning would rapidly run out of fuel and be looking for a disengagement, at which time it would be vulnerable. Because of the limitations of both Firestreak and Red Top, a Lightning pilot would have to position close to the “6 o’clock” in order to take a shot. Tactically aware crews should have been able to fend off an attack long enough to run the Lightning short of fuel.”

Very good article, one of my favourite themes.

Although I wasn't expecting the Tornado F3 to be that better than an F-4 Phantom within visual range.

Thanks.! Most interesting. Funny even in wing over Europe, I have never been able to  intercept a TU-95

I believe the Tu-95 is not fetured in WOE.

Try Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic, (it's a "lite sim" also), and you can intercept the Tu-95 and several others of the USSR bomber fleet.

He has written a couple of very interesting books - one about the Phantom, one about the Tornado F3, one about his time on the Falklands and some fictional novels.

There's more stuff by him coming up...

• Like 1