Sign in to follow this  
cperleberg

Squadron Decal Questions

Maybe the answer is out there, but I can't find it.

If I choose a stock spad, I can use loadout to pick a particular squadron marking. I'd like to do the same with, say, Nieuport 17s.

However, I can't just pick the nieuport squadron from the loadout drop down. If you do, you get unpredictable results.

Somewhere there must be a translation table that connects a particular squadron with a particular sq0xx file. Any idea how this is handled?

Chris P.

The N17 has to have a Squadron decal parameter in the Decal.ini found in a skin folder. Open the SPAD 's Decal.INI and see how it's done. 

That's the thing. The spad has the following:

[Decal016]
MeshName=Fuselage P
DecalLevel=1
DecalFacing=LEFT
FilenameFormat=Sq
Position=-2.19,-0.03
Scale=1.50
DecalMaxLOD=3

The 'Sq' is, I presume, the squadron marking, the definition of which comes from the loadout dropdown. . If I do the same to the Nieuport 17 generic decal.ini, and chose, say, "Esc 3 cigognes" from the loadout list, I get something, but not the stork I want. There must be something, somewhere, that links the list given in the loadout dropdown (which as near as I can tell comes from squadronlist.ini) and the correct insignia.

Now, apparently the squadronlist.ini is the link what connects the insignia tga with the correct squadron. For example, Nie.3 'Les Cigognes' is squadron 26, and sq026 is the correct insignia. But it doesn't work right. I change the decal entry in the Nie.17 file thusly:

[Decal001]
MeshName=Fuselage
DecalLevel=2
DecalFacing=RIGHT
FilenameFormat=sq
Position=-1.7,-0.35
Scale=0.65
DecalMaxLOD=3

Still looking.

And the select the 3rd Cigognes, I get the 13th Aero Squadron, coincidentally, the 3rd entry in squadron.ini.

ok seems it follows same protocol as SF2 series (TK did make em both)  and if the squadron is not in the squadronlist screwiness will ensue.  luckily, you can add to the squadronlist easily. pick a squadron from the same country as your chosen one,  copy and paste to the end. change the names up,  matching the syntax used with the others (7Esc or 19Sqn or whatever is needed) it makes life easier.  you can add for a long time,  in SF2 series i have a squadronlist.ini that goes to 2999 just fine. stock is to 405

secondly DecalLevel=1 controls your units,  Level=2 is serial numbers.  and finally for it to show you need to have at least 1 blank Level=1 decal in the folder or the grayness and screwiness will continue.  of course if you have non blank decals to add that is much better.  hopefully this helps,  remember i work with stickers in the SF2 series but this should work the same.

one other piece of advise,  if a modded skin, you should want the filepath to be more detailed.  something like FilenameFormat=SPAD\BrownSkin\sq  for example. even the stock decals usually would be more like SPADsq than just sq.

On your N17 the decal level should be set to "DecalLevel=1" for Squadron selection I believe. Been a long time since I did decal work.

These two entries seem to work for the Nieuport 17. You can then select a squadron from the loadout dropdown and have it appear on the A/C.

[Decal001]
MeshName=Fuselage
DecalLevel=1
DecalFacing=RIGHT
FilenameFormat=sq
Position=-1.70,-0.35
Scale=1.40
DecalMaxLOD=3
Reverse=TRUE

[Decal002]
MeshName=Fuselage
DecalLevel=1