Sign in to follow this  
TTown_Winger

TK, anyone, HEEELLLPPP!! For the love of God, someone HELP!!

OK, I bought this game finally this weekend because the patch has finally been released. I saw that Best Buy was selling for $14.99 but they were out. I wanted this game so I went to CompUSA and bought it for $43.16 after tax. Right now I'm feeling so screwed. I hope someone can help me.

I could not get it to run after install and patch, it would immediately CTD. So, i reformatted my HD (NTFS), reinstalled OS and all updated drivers and it worked intermittently. Sometimes when I hit escape it would reboot my machine, other times it would still crash to desktop. When it ran it looked great and I wanted more!

Here are my machine and specs:

1.2G Duron

ABIT KT-7E

512M PC-133 SDRAM

Maxtor 40G 7200, ATA-100

Gainward Geforce 4 Golden Sample MX440, 64M

Creative Soundblaster Live

Microsoft FF2 Joystick

WinXP Pro SP1

41.09 win2kxp video drivers

Syncmaster 955DF Drivers for monitor

DirectX 8.1 from Strike Fighters CD

SBLive drivers from CD

My Strike Fighters CD says it is 24147CD1

Pre-patch my Strike Fighters version appears to be 10.11.02 from the main page.

Now I've tried an uninstall/reinstall/patch (a few times)to see if it could clear up my problems and I get this wonderful error:

The File C:Program FilesStrategy FirstStrike FightersObjectsAircraftA-4eUSMC Grey1A-4_Nose.bmp is not a valid previous version and could not be upgraded. The game crashes immediatley now and won't start up.

I have not downloaded any mods, I've just been trying to get this to work properly. I uninstalled using the uninstall option from the Strike Fighters menu. I've also verified no folder was left. I checked my Registry via REGEDIT and I can't find anything (from what I can tell). I've also played with sound acceleration by lowering it halfway in Windows and switching between 16 & 24 in the game sound options.

I'm really frustrated and confused, I've never had a game this troublesome. Any input you have to help me get this flying is very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!!!!

try this..nice fresh install,run game (once in mission esc. and close out game) now apply patch.now in game settings set your graphics to 800x600x16 with mirrors and shadows off..set your speakers to stereo speakers and sound to 16 bit. now give it a try....if this doesn't work post here exactly what it does when you CTD...and which video drivers are you using? there were some that caused all kinda trouble.

It's amazing to see how many people have CTD problems when I have had none.

If you have a W98SE cd, I would at least try it out (seeing as how you formatted your HD once already). The only problems I've had are a few bugs when the high quality terrain textures are used (ocean texture is weird, but that could be my older video card drivers). Not to mention the low framerates, but that is also due to my older hardware specs.