Sign in to follow this  
GodsLt

Back after a long(ish) hiatus...armed with some questions!

Hey guys, 

After taking a couple of years off this website to finish up my Engineering Degree, I finally have enough time in my schedule to allow me to sim again! 4th year is not too bad...so after dusting my stick I head out to download a massive amount of data :p

I have a couple of questions however:

1) Since I last was here, I upgraded my laptop from an Asus Vivobook (Packing a GT740M) to a Dell XPS 15 (Packing a GTX960M). I also have a 4K screen which makes everything look that much crisper. That said, I'm having troubles with low GPU usage even after setting my Nvidia Control panel to maximize performance. I've tried disabling Vsync in the  options.ini (ForceVSyncOff = TRUE) and in the Control Panel....but I seem to still be locked to 60fps on a non-graphic intensive part of the flight. Once I start looking around, the frames drop to the 30-40fps range, and when the TV missile's screen comes up, it grinds to a 20fps halt... I've tracked my GPU usage to figure out if 4K was bottlenecking my system, but it was stilll hovering about 70% usage with big drops to 30%.... I then lowered the resolution to 1920x1080p with no change...my fps still drop significantly and my GPGU usage is now constantly around 30%.

Has anybody dealt with this before? 

2) Kinda getting back into "modding" (.ini edits ftw) I've been toying around with the idea of equipping NATO Aircraft with brimstones held on SBD quad racks. I tried my hand at some edits and I could only get the AGM114A to use the proper rack, but the brimstone and the SBD itself still use the Maverick's TER. Any of you modding guru's think you can lend a newbie a hand?

Closing remarks: Feels good to be back man, this place is better than when I left and the content is better than ever! Have a good day guys.

Umm well one thing I have noticed with the TV screen for LGB's AGM's etc is in the aircraft in question change the greentvfilter in the cockpit INI to a JPG file that will help... 

The second thing that will help even more is go into the weapons data files and find the value called SeekerHeadFOV= and bring that value down to 1.50000...

The narrower that FOV that the tv display is trying to show the higher your FPS will be while launching a Maverick etc

As to getting the fps stuck at 60 FPS I think that may be the limit for the game engine as I've never gotten over 60 myself... Strike Fighters Guru's may need to weigh in on that. 

But definitely play with the SeekerHeadFOV in your missiles data files, I had the same problem with AGM-65A and B's until I changed up the value

Another boost for the FPS can be turning off the cockpit mirrors as well as turning down shadows 

• Like 1

you can go higher with the fps, but methinks you have to have a beast of a rig to do so. i recently hit 90s over iceland,dropping snakes at 250 agl and external looking back to watch the explosions.   course for starters i have 32GB ram in that system soooooo

as for mortal systems,  i turn off mirrors and do a custom set up. keep alot of outside world detail and still manage 50s on avg also stay away from stock iceland as thats a framerate killer once you get near any land or action.

as to the brimstones,  i recall there being some issue with em.  check the threads,  i think they wound up going with Hellfires lods in Brimstone inis but not sure and it was awhile ago.  of course some one will likely point it out better calling me an idiot as they correct this

outside of that welcome back!

Thanks for your replies guys!

So far in regards to my frame rate issue, I have everything cranked up to unlimited....

My laptop's graphic's card hovers around the 60*C mark (when in theory should go to 89*C under full load) which is why I'm wondering why my GPU isn't being fully utilized.

It almost feels like VSYNC is still on...limiting my frames to 60fps (looking up at the blue sky) while then failing to adapt properly when explosions or AA open up.

Any settings that you guys have deemed unnecessary? I'm away from my stick for the rest of today, but I'll try to crank it down to "high" to see if it makes a difference.

On a saide note, is it possible that SF2 is more CPU bound? I have an Intel I5 6300HQ mobile Quad core with relatively high single thread clock speeds. I haven't tracked my CPU usage so I wouldn't know...what do you guys think?

I would say bring effects down to high and give that a try... I would leave everything at high except for object textures and cockpit textures... turn off shadows and mirrors and your FPS should jump

I'm just surprised I'm having so many issues with FPS...One second it's fine and the next my FPS run into the ground. This machine runs War Thunder on High at a constant 60FPS...so I cannot believe SF2 requires more juice!

My GPU usage is still abnormally low, as are my GPU temperatures (especially after gaming for hours). In War Thunder my GPU will easily peak 89*C With near 100% utitlization, but SF2 seems to only use 30% of my GPU...I was running a strike mission in Operation Darius and the moment I selected the TV guided missiles my frames ground to a halt.