Sign in to follow this  
Steve112

WOE + NF 1+2 Mods... Bad FPS

I cannot find anything about WOE in forums so I apologise if this is in the wrong place. I have WOE installed by steam which worked fine until recently (Works on Windows 10 absolutely fine) Now the FPS is down to about 3-4 and renders the game unplayable. My system is ok, AMD FX 8370 with 32GB Ram, 980ti so not as if WOE cant run smooth. I also have Nato Fighters 1+2 installed, but without these installed it still runs like a dog with 3 legs. I have not changed any settting ingame or on my pc, also verified cache and even reinstalled WOE and still the same.

Edited by Steve112

Moved............WOE was in Series 1 and replaced by SF2: Europe

Something must have changed......is the NVIDIA driver auto updating?

I am running on Windows 7 64-bit and have all the old games running as well or better at they did on XP.

However, I am hearing from multiple sources that Windows 10 runs the old games at horribly low frame rates after a certain patch level.

Everyone I have spoken with is running an nVidia card, so it may also be a gpu driver issue.

I have no ability to replicate and troubleshoot the issue because I don't have a single Win 10 machine or an nVidia gpu.

The games may run fine prior to the 083006 patch.

The problem is definitely there in the final Oct2008b patch.

The 083006 patch level was the gold standard for mods, if it won't run well at that level, that would be very bad.

The 083006 patch level requires an edit to the terrain data ini files to turn off the shaders taht cause a CTD or black screen when quitting a mission.

[NormalTextureMaterial]
UseEffectShader=FALSE

[WaterTextureMaterial]
UseEffectShader=FALSE

It has to be extracted from the terrain cat file, which requires the old SFP1E Cat extractor tool... a utility that is available here for download.

But discussing the problem with other win 10 users and doing some internet searches, it seems the real issue is that Win 10 doesn't come with DX9, but at some point received a patch that included a d3d9 dll to provide backwards support. But the new dll somehow doesn't work very well and causes low fps or isn't even recognized as being DX9 by some games. So, I saw two paths for getting Win 10 to support DX9 properly:

1. Find a way to trick Win 10 into allowing the installation of DX9 given that the DX9 installer refuses to run since it recognizes a newer version.

2. Download the required dll files and past them into any old games that need DX9.

I don't have a machine to try either path, otherwise I would develop a sure-fire solution and make it available here.