Sign in to follow this  
Peugeot205

Thirdwire terrain editor palette

Hi guys

I'm chaging the heightmap of my EAW terrain. However, I'ma having some trouble in mountainous areas due to the palette I'm using, which, mistakenly uses the same color for regions above 3225 meters, that means that everything is nice, except regions taller than 3225 meters, which are therefore flat.

So If any of you could share with me an .ACT file with the palette , will help me a lot.

Thanks for your help.

this is the stock act pallette, from the WoE terrain editor.

see if that's any better

terrain palette.7z

• Like 1

Thanks!!!

I'll check it out soon.

Yes, I got what I wanted. Thanks!!!

Edited by FRPignon

Another question Wrench

How does the import Tile Map from bitmap works in TK's terrain editor? I'm curious, since importing the heightmap as bitmap has been very usefull in this case?

Edited by FRPignon

I've never used it!!

How does the import Tile Map from bitmap works in TK's terrain editor? I'm curious, since importing the heightmap as bitmap has been very usefull in this case?

EDIT: ops, sorry, my bad, you were asking about the tile map import, which I never tried. I hope you find the following about height map bitmap import useful, anyway. 

Check the following statements inside the TerrainEditor.ini

[bitmapImport]
HeightScale=22
MinLandHeight=0

HeightScale makes a huge difference. I had to set it at 22, otherwise my Iraq terrain would have had wrong altitudes for mountains etc. Each terrain has its perfect value. So I suggest that you check the original EAW map in TFDtool, there you can see the heightmap value of each tile. Focus on the one who is more red (the higher altitude). Import the bitmap in the TerrainEditor and check with TFDtool. If you get similar altitudes it's okay, if the altitudes you get are lower, you should increase the HeightScale value and reimport the bitmap again and recheck with TFDtool. It's time consuming, but worth it.

Oh, BTW, you can also take real height values for reference. For instance, you can use Google Earth to get the values of altitudes you might want. Sometimes, you get an already "wrong" HFD to work with, meaning that altitudes are wrong, mountains are flat after certain values, etc.. The less you mod the HFD, the better, because reworking an HFD too many times might get to the point that the terrain won't be realistic. Another big suggestion, do not import and then export the same bitmap multiple times, because each time it loses quality and detail. Make your own bitmap file, and when you think it's okay, just focus on the HeightScale value in the TerrainEditor.ini. 
Edited by Menrva