Sign in to follow this  
Pete

RAAF F18 Super Hornet

I take it you don't like the Super Hornet.It must pretty bad for RAAF to fly them.

Bring back the English Electric Lightning a proper piece of kit which would give any yanky aircraft a run for its money.The only 2 decent carrier based aircraft that america has produced is the F4 Phantom/f8 Crusader in my opion thats quality.

A blast from the past where all the skill was with the pilot & his support staff.

Cheers Pete

The only 2 decent carrier based aircraft that america has produced is the F4 Phantom/ f8 Crusader in my opion thats quality.

I knew I liked you for a reason.

You can't beat the classics mate.

I saw German F4's at an airshow a couple of years they stole the show.FANTASTIC

Iv'e only seen F8 crusaders the once at the International air tattoo Fairford about 10years ago but they were very impressive.Unfortunatly that was the year the 2 mig 29's collieded luckilly no one was killed.

Edited by Pete

Well as they say both Russian plane and tennis shoes have alot in common, grass stains. :p

Where in the hell did you get this BS? If its tagged by AWACS as hostile and it is BVR.... it is going to die in a loud grotesque military manner. There have been no rules prohibiting BVR engagments since Vietnam.  :rtfm:

Especailly when it comes to fleet air defense, there is no grey area.

I was basing this on two things, the Vinceins incident during the '80s and some of the last briefings we attended regarding the AIM-120. If they are out dated,my bust. This is what happens when you are out of the loop for a few years.

As for the Irainians experiance with the AIM-54, I was refering to can be found here...http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww4/f/846/33

Anyway Skater is right about the Manhours expended on each bird.

As for this...

They want to fix the SH, put better engines on it than those weak ass ones it has now. 4 fat Navy ordies could push it faster than it can fly.

(Jab at Firehawkordy )

Hook two Fat AO's chasing a dice game and some bar girls to a bug and watch it break the sound barrier. :spiteful:

I'm just waiting for my local Barnes and Nobel to get PC Pilot in so I can get that texture.

FLY NAVY

IYAOYAS!!!!

The only 2 decent carrier based aircraft that america has produced is the F4 Phantom/f8 Crusader in my opion thats quality.

A blast from the past where all the skill was with the pilot & his support staff.

Cheers Pete

You forgot one bird Pete, the A-4. All I remember hearing the Air Wing maintanance Chief saying on my first MED Cruise was how dependable the Scooter was compared to the other planes in the wing. Of course by then only the Marines and the Blue Angels were flying them, the rest of the fleet had "progressed" to more "capable" planes.

Edited by firehawkordy

You forgot one bird Pete, the A-4. All I remember hearing the Air Wing maintanance Chief saying on my first MED Cruise was how dependable the Scooter was compared to the other planes in the wing. Of course by then only the Marines and the Blue Angels were flying them, the rest of the fleet had "progressed" to more "capable" planes.

Ah yes,

My first Bird was the F-4 Phantom in '72. A-4's in the early eighties. Speaking from a Marine Ordnanceman perspective, Those "Mickey D" Birds were Real Men Aircraft. Real Mud Movers. Hard wire systems and all.

Now, They've got those new fangled Computerized Jobs.

Man, Those were the days. :yes:

.The only 2 decent carrier based aircraft that america has produced is the F4 Phantom/f8 Crusader in my opion thats quality.

Cheers Pete

What about the F6f Hellcat? Granted, it's a totally different class of aircraft, but it still fits your criteria :grin: Faster, more maneuverable (turning, climbing, diving), bigger armament, and an all around better fighter than the Zero, it's primary enemy of the time.

F-4 = Living proof that you can make anything fly if you strap big enough engines to it! :tomato:

Edited by PG_Raptor

Sorry about missing those aircraft.Although I also like the Vought A-7 Corsair.

Also Royal Navy aircraft like the sea Vixen,Seafire,& not forgetting the Harrier until the yanks got hold of it & F--ked it up.

Anyway I thought a navy pilot was one that didn't qualify for USAF,& fly real aircraft like B-1b's & F15's.

Cheers Pete

Sorry about missing those aircraft.Although I also like the Vought A-7 Corsair.

Also Royal Navy aircraft like the sea Vixen,Seafire,& not forgetting the Harrier until the yanks got hold of it & F--ked it up.

Anyway I thought a navy pilot was one that didn't qualify for USAF,& fly real aircraft like B-1b's & F15's.

Cheers Pete

HA! Hell, the Navy does not even have pilots. We have Naval AVIATORS. Big difference my friend. Pilots are what your 50 year old in a Cessna is and the 17 year old in a Piper is, what the guy flying dixie cups from La Paz in a C-17 is, and just about any Air Force pilot of any nation is... Naval Aviators are a different breed.

-Skater

Naval Aviators are a different breed

Yeah like the muts of the military...........part chow part terrier......

So a naval aviator is someone who flies a plane with an anchor for brakes.

Who didn't make the grade to join USAF or RAF etc.To call them self a Pilot.

A friend of mine calls himself a Pilot he dosn't fly a cessna or a C17 he flies a Tornado GR3 and is based in the gulf at the moment.He's proud to call himself A Royal Airfoce PILOT.Not an RAF Aviator.

Edited by Pete

Yeah like the muts of the military...........part chow part terrier......

Now you know why NAVAL Aviators are called Airdales. Ask almost any Pilot, Backseater or Aircrewman in any Navy and they'll almost always refer to themselves as Naval Aviators.

What sets these Officers apart from their AF brothers is that not only do they have to know how to fly and fight their A/C, but they must also be prepared to take command of a Naval vessle if need be. JUst remember, in order to command any type of Aircraft Carrier that CO must also be a Naval Aviator.

And as for the "mutts" remark, any Airdale worth his salt will take that as a compliment.

You know this has been almost as much fun as the Political debates we used to have. We really should thank Merlin for the lively dissussion we've had. :biggrin:

This navy aviator (AIRDALE) should stick driving his boat.Screen shot I prepared for you earlier.It's a cracking freeware item but i'm sticking with USAF PILOTS.

So a naval aviator is someone who flies a plane with an anchor for brakes.

Who didn't make the grade to join USAF or RAF etc.To call them self a Pilot.

A friend of mine calls himself a Pilot he dosn't fly a cessna or a C17 he flies a Tornado GR3 and is based in the gulf at the moment.He's proud to call himself A Royal Airfoce PILOT.Not an RAF Aviator.

No, that's where you have it backwards... Your RAF friend could not make it as a Naval Aviator, so he fell back on being a pilot. But, at least he's a fighter pilot. Royal Navy pilots are Naval Aviators. RAF pilots are not. Guess what Naval Aviators can land on runways or a carrier... In any weather. Pilots can only land on runways, and if the weather is too rough, they divert to an easier runway. At sea, there is only one place to land, weather be damned. Just for arguments sake, among the ranks of astonauts, the best trained pilots in the world, the overwhelming majority have been Naval Aviators (I am taking about mission commanders and mission pilots here, not the tech guys).

-Skater

This navy aviator (AIRDALE) should stick driving his boat.Screen shot I prepared for you earlier.It's a cracking freeware item but i'm sticking with USAF PILOTS.

Hmmpf... looks like the hook or the wire broke. No problem, the pilot will walk away, and the techs will fix the aircraft. Oh, BTW, the Navy also has the best trained aircraft mechanics <ducks head>.

-Skater

I put this to my PILOT mate about Navel Aviators.He had the choice when he finished basic training Fast jet or Harrier.He Said he would have liked to be a navy Pilot but gets a bit sea sick & theres no glory in it.But being a Royal Airforce Pilot in a fast jet flying for the greatest airforce in the world / on a par with the USAF.

Also he has said he owns a little cessna so there may be some truth in what you say.But has no wishes to fly a C17 although the RAF have a few.Allthough he has said he admires you guy's who land on carriers its not the easiest job in the world.

If he had the choice of what to fly he said he wouldn't entertain the super hornet its a bag of crap.He would liked to fly F8 crusader a mans machine.

Yeah its always fun to poke at eachother like this. But I am happy we are on the same side.

Too right mate.

when needed " BROTHERS IN ARMS"