Sign in to follow this  
Guest IndioBlack

Patches and NO CD

Guest IndioBlack

Hi guys,

The other day I joined the PACIFIC FIGHTERS forum and said that I had installed IL2 FORGOTTEN BATTLES, then ACES and then PACIFIC FIGHTERS. I said I was using a NO CD crack to save wear and tear on my disks, and asked if the new patches for PACIFIC FIGHTERS needed new NO CDs, or whether it was now built into the patches that you don't need a CD anyway, like with STRIKE FIGHTERS, WOV, LOMAC etc.

The response I got was "bye bye".

It took me a while to realise that I was in fact being banned for asking such a question by some arrogant tin-god of a moderator. So I guess the answer is that the patches still require you to put your CD in the drive. Obviously Oleg thinks that there are people out there who can't afford the tiny sale price that PACIFIC FIGHTERS is being offered at, and are still looking for a free ride. Whereas people like me who could buy at least three full-price copies of PACIFIC FIGHTERS on my hourly salary, just want to protect our precious disks, and avoid the inconvenience of popping them in the CD drive every time we want to play.

So I guess from my point of view, it's stuff your patches sonny, and thank goodness for the Third Wire team who were bright enough to offer patches that saved on disk wear and tear. I bought STRIKE FIGHTERS, STRIKE FIGHTERS GOLD and WOV, and they're worth every penny.

Any Company wanting to protect it's product should think of going back to the Golden Days when every Flight Sim came with at least a 200 page manual, which made buying an original game an absolute must for anyone who really wanted to enjoy it.

I agree with you mate.

Iv'e hunted the net for a no cd patch for pacific fighters.But I don't think there is one avaliable yet.I too like you have all the original disc's anyway you can pick up Pacific Fighters for under £20 these days.

Cheers Pete

PS Have all the skinners gone on holiday.We havn't had anything for along time,

I had a go myself but the results were s--t.

Hi guys,

The other day I joined the PACIFIC FIGHTERS forum and said that I had installed IL2 FORGOTTEN BATTLES, then ACES and then PACIFIC FIGHTERS. I said I was using a NO CD crack to save wear and tear on my disks, and asked if the new patches for PACIFIC FIGHTERS needed new NO CDs, or whether it was now built into the patches that you don't need a CD anyway, like with STRIKE FIGHTERS, WOV, LOMAC etc.

The response I got was "bye bye".

It took me a while to realise that I was in fact being banned for asking such a question by some arrogant tin-god of a moderator. So I guess the answer is that the patches still require you to put your CD in the drive. Obviously Oleg thinks that there are people out there who can't afford the tiny sale price that PACIFIC FIGHTERS is being offered at, and are still looking for a free ride. Whereas people like me who could  buy at least three full-price copies of PACIFIC FIGHTERS on my hourly salary, just want to protect our precious disks, and avoid the inconvenience of popping them in the CD drive every time we want to play.

So I guess from my point of view, it's stuff your patches sonny, and thank goodness for the Third Wire team who were bright enough to offer patches that saved on disk wear and tear. I bought STRIKE FIGHTERS, STRIKE FIGHTERS GOLD and WOV, and they're worth every penny.

Any Company wanting to protect it's product should think of going back to the Golden Days when every Flight Sim came with at least a 200 page manual, which made buying an original game an absolute must for anyone who really wanted to enjoy it.

There is actually a NO CD patch on the Ubi website somewhere. Just run a search for NO CD on the forums and you will find heaps of references to it.

The problem is with no CD cracks is that PF sales were really hit hard when the gold master was illegally copied and distributed by several warez groups.

NO CD questions have been something of a sore point with the moderators there and there have been several squadrons boasting about it on HYperlobby.

The quick and dirty of it is:

Yes, there's a no CD.

It's not a new .exe, it's a .dll replacement.

You can patch just fine with it installed, the CD isn't needed for patching.

One lasted all of Il-2. When FB came out, it needed a new one that lasted through AEP and its patches. When PF came out, it required yet another one. That has lasted through all of its patches.

Actually, I'm glad it's not an .exe type, because that would mean each patch requires a new one.

As for where to get it, I can't remember where I got mine, it was a link on a forum somewhere as it never showed up at the standard no-CD sites I visit.

For the record, I HATE CD-based CP and support keys/codes/whatever instead so you can leave the stupid things in their cases and still be just as secure. I have them for about 50% of my games, where it was easy to do. Some have real tough CP (like the Starforce-protected ones) or are too big a PITA to do (like the BF42/BFV ones) or screw up MP file checks (CFS3 and F1C 99-02 are among those) so I'm forced to use the CD there.

The Jedi Master

Guest IndioBlack
The quick and dirty of it is:

Yes, there's a no CD.

It's not a new .exe, it's a .dll replacement.

You can patch just fine with it installed, the CD isn't needed for patching.

One lasted all of Il-2. When FB came out, it needed a new one that lasted through AEP and its patches. When PF came out, it required yet another one. That has lasted through all of its patches.

Actually, I'm glad it's not an .exe type, because that would mean each patch requires a new one.

As for where to get it, I can't remember where I got mine, it was a link on a forum somewhere as it never showed up at the standard no-CD sites I visit.

For the record, I HATE CD-based CP and support keys/codes/whatever instead so you can leave the stupid things in their cases and still be just as secure. I have them for about 50% of my games, where it was easy to do. Some have real tough CP (like the Starforce-protected ones) or are too big a PITA to do (like the BF42/BFV ones) or screw up MP file checks (CFS3 and F1C 99-02 are among those) so I'm forced to use the CD there.

The Jedi Master

Well, on the site from which I was banned in record time, there was a section where people had reported problems when downloading and installing one or other of the PF patches, and the moderators were responding by suggesting that the problems only arise when the worthless person playing PF has dared to use a nocd patch. Removing the nocd patch,apparently, would instantly cure all their problems - and presumably save their lost souls too.

I have the nocd dll that works on the original PF, but have not bothered with any further patches because I was given the impression that the nocd dll would no longer function with the new patches - hence my posted question and instant dismissal. So that's a nice bit of disinformation from the ....s (insert your own expletive) who moderate PF.

In retaliation, I've now been loaning my PF game discs to my friends along with the nocd dll and insisting they install it on their computers. Unfortunately, none of them are the least bit interested in Flight Sims, and won't play it anyway, but I might as well bolster the myth that there are thousands of illegal copies out there and they are costing Ubisoft millions of dollars. :cool:

Hi,

I was wondering, just how often do game cd's wear out? My music cd's never do and game cd's aren't accesed nearly as much. True, it reduces the risk of scratching but cd's are pretty scratch tolerant. Hell, I keep most of my music cd's loose (no case) in the glove compartment of my car and they work fine. When it comes to game cd's, by the time they might wear out, the game no longer runs on my current rig.

Like you I buy my software and yes I miss the days of thick manuals and lower tech protection like code wheels

or questions requiring the manual to answer. I can't believe that producing a good hardcopy manual is too expensive considering the amount of money that goes into game production. Besides, simmers that play the games on this site are so hard core, the game companies could probably recruit a few to write very high quality manuals for little cost.

I know I'd pay a few extra bucks for a decent manual.

Good Hunting,

Sillius_Sodus

Guest IndioBlack
Hi,

I was wondering, just how often do game cd's wear out? My music cd's never do and game cd's aren't accesed nearly as much. True, it reduces the risk of scratching but cd's are pretty scratch tolerant. Hell, I keep most of my music cd's loose (no case) in the glove compartment of my car and they work fine. When it comes to game cd's, by the time they might wear out, the game no longer runs on my current rig.

Good Hunting,

Sillius_Sodus

Well the drive gets very hot whilst the CD is in there, and so does the CD, which can't be healthy for either the drive or the CD. Then there's the risk of getting fingerprints burned in if you don't handle it carefully by the edges, or you might fumble it, getting it out of the jewel case, and it drops, rolls across the floor and gets scratched when it slides under the book-case. Or you can't find it, because you inadvertantly put it in the wrong case when you decided to take it out and put in a different game the other night.

What's interesting is that these companies that insist on you using the CD to play the game, are also asking you to support their crusade against software hackers. Ironically, some of us who hate having to use the original CD all the time, actually think the hackers are doing a great job.

Jeez Indio i got a laugh out of your last post, I think I've done everything you described to my cd's at one time or another!

There's got to be a better way to copy protect. I know music companies use something from a company called Musicrypt. It uses biometrics to protect music files that are distributed to radio stations. You activate a file by typing your name or something. It seems that people's typing styles are as individual as their fingerprints so you can use it to associate files to a certain person. You'd probably have to have Microsoft style activation of the software for the initial installation but then after that all you would have to is type in your signature to play.

Could be it's been considered already but is lacking somehow. I'm no expert on copy protection.

Good huntig,

Sillius_Sodus

I can't remember for sure, but I think it was the 2nd patch that came out for SFP1 where TK did away with the CD being needed. I don't want to quote him, but I believe the general observation was that the percentage of those that would distribute his game for free was very small compared to those that wanted a NO CD solution. Money wise there was going to be little if any effect on the bottom line of sales.

IMHO, a NOCD would help sales. Mainly, if people did download the WAREZ version, it still means they are interested enough in the game. This might even lead to ppl buying the game IMHO. Which would lead to buying add-on's and so forth and so forth. I've never seen where a NOCD patch hinders a games popularity or the developers bottom line.

I don't promote WAREZ of any type. However, I do feel that a NO CD Patch is something that more developers should offer. Maybe even a NO CD PAtch that is unlocked with the CD Key....proof that you own it.

Fates