I am keen to understand the format of the TFD file to work out how texture tiles references are stored. I there is anyone still around that knows or can point me in the right direction, please pm me.

My (partial) understanding of the tfd file format. Maybe Gerwin can fill the gaps since he wrote a tfd/hfd editor.

number          variable type           description
of bytes

4               integer                 number of tiles in x (W-E) direction
4               integer                 number of tiles in y (S-N) direction
8               double                  tile size in meters

two dimensional array of tiles in row (W-E) major order, beginning in the south-west of the map:

for each tile
2               short                   texture id, references the texture tiles as follows: 
                                        texture id = NNN - 1, with NNN the number from the [textureNNN] entries in terrain_data.ini file 
2               short                   tile rotation: 0 = 0 degree, 1 = 90 degree, 2 = 180 degree, 3 = 270 degree 
                                        (I forgot if clockwise or counterclockwise)
8               ?                       ?

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this Mue! That got me on the right track; I will make contact with Gerwin as well.

and PLEASE post your findings! Us terraformers are quite interested to know