Sign in to follow this  
Sky High

Missing Sounds

It has come to my notice that many of the engine and machine-gun sounds in my modded FE2 install are no longer working. In the case of many of the engine sounds, many that are seem excessively quiet. There seem to be so many planes involved, I don't know where to begin and I don't seem to be able to restore missing machine-gun sounds, at all.

Has anyone any ideas or experienced this?

Update: on further examination, I notice that many of the engine sounds described in the dataini's don't match the names of the soundfiles in my Sounds folder. So some renaming should sort that. The machine-gun sounds issue seems more complicated. Some of the various mg sound files in my sounds folder don't seem to be getting read at all. 

Additional gun sounds and the latest engine sounds can be found in my FM update pack folders (see the big ver. 9.5 folder, also the smaller ver. 9.7 folder in that pack). As well, double-check that you are using the latest soundlist.ini file in your Flight folder (I have included my latest one in the ver. 9.7 Flight folder). Any sounds that are missing from my packs should be available on CombatAce over at this link:

https://combatace.com/files/file/13385-realistic-engine-sounds/

And this other link offers a comparison of sound names from the CombatAce pack, above, and names I use in my FM update packs:

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/87403-tweaked-flight-models-and-realism-pack-for-fe2/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-727507

Names of sounds in the data inis from my FM pack match the soundlist.ini file included in the pack, and also match the names located in the comparison chart above. If you want to use your own sound files, you will have to change the name in the "EngineSoundName" entry of the data inis.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Fixed typos.
  • Like 2

Von S, thank you and have pity on my stupidity. I neglected to put the new soundlist.ini in the Flight folder, messing everything up and quite spectacularly. How do you stay so patient with the likes of me!?

• Like 1

Just wish to add that the wide range of sounds really clarifies the depth of variety and realism that VonS' mod lends to FE. For such a small community, we are very lucky to have so much talent available to get the best out of this game. Those that are unaware of the level to which FE/FE2 has been taken are missing out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sky High said:

Just wish to add that the wide range of sounds really clarifies the depth of variety and realism that VonS' mod lends to FE. For such a small community, we are very lucky to have so much talent available to get the best out of this game. Those that are unaware of the level to which FE/FE2 has been taken are missing out.

Thanks for the nice words gents - the sound variety is very good also for situational awareness...you can usually pick up on what's in the vicinity based simply on the sound of the engine on enemy aircraft. I'm using one of the low-hp, early rotary sounds for the inline engines on BE2c and BE2e types in the sim, because of the nice rickety sound....but if I can find a Beardmore sound on the internet I'll see if I can eventually modify it and substitute that instead for the early two-seater types. Speaking of small communities, I'm also pleasantly surprised how many talented modders we have working on FE/FE2, considering that this is a "niche" simulator :biggrin: within an already niche category of simming (WW1) where most people only know about RoF and WoFF.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Like 2