These are a few screenshots of going up high in the A-5B Vigilante , on the way back down i went the fastest i have ever been on this game . Once i hit 105000 ft the external camera could not keep up but in cockpit was fine , i would like to know how fast and high other people have managed to go . Does anybody know the max figures for these in this game .

post-6471-1125798459_thumb.jpg

post-6471-1125798476_thumb.jpg

post-6471-1125798498_thumb.jpg

Ideally, there shouldn't be a "max" for the game, just for the plane you're flying. That said, there's no WAY a Viggie should have been able to get over 100k! :blink:

You should've have a flame out much lower, but I can't recall if SFP1 simulates that or how it handles max altitude. Maybe one of the FM modders could step in and describe it.

The Jedi Master

Guest pdelbarba

ive gotten higher by mounting a 3000 rpm flak gun to a sea king :lol:

Interesting Altitude Attempt.

I did a quick internet search and I think the official altitude record for an air breathing aircraft taking off from the ground is held by a modified F-104 Starfighter at around 103,000 Ft. This was set in the early 60's and I guess indicates some potential for rich guys or companies to set some new records in this area. Record setting attempts get somewhat muddied regarding altitude, powerplant, [airbreathing or rocket] and other issues. Apparantly, NASA'S rocket propelled Starfighters were reaching around 120'000Ft in the mid sixties, but they had thrusters to control pitch and roll at high altitude. The air breathing aircraft would start their record breaking attempts from a high mach level flight probably around 35'000 t0 40'000 ft then pitch up an optimum angle [maybe 45 deg?] then continue upwards to an engine flame out point [guessing around 65'000ft] then coast upwards from there. Interestingly, the Starfighter took the high altitude record away from a Navy F-4 Phantom. [around 98'000ft] The low altitude record is even more muddy, but I think a modified F-104 Starfighter holds this at around 988mph. [Daryl Greenamayer] I'm not sure how low the low altitude record has to be[how low is low?] but it is very difficult to overpower the air resistence at low altitude so the older small wing high speed fighters are probably hard to beat in this regard. I recall a good book [not Thud Ridge] where a USAF pilot was describing his exit from North vietnam at low level in an f-105 Thunderchief. Hard on the deck and pounding on the throttle, 1000mph indicated airspeed! So the F-104 has a rival and maybe someone will prove it some day! As for the record in the Vigilante, I would consider it a good contender for a high altitude attempt, [for real !] However, stability is a real concern at these altitudes. Regards.

After bit more research it appears the altitude record is held by a Russian E-266M [Experimental Mig-25?] at 37,650 meters. If my math is right, thats almost 127,000ft. Might need a 3rd engine for the Vigilante! :biggrin: