Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

History Buffs! I have a question for you. Did Eugene Bullard teach Bessie Coleman?

I'm working on a report about Bessie Coleman and I keep coming across how an Ace helped her out. I can't find anything that said who they were. It just said she found an Ace near France that helped sharpen her skills. Since, she was black I would figure the Ace would be black therefore I'm coming up with Eugene Bullard a WW1 French Ace that died in New York 1961. So history buffs is there a way to verify who the Ace is?

I also have William Robinson Clarke and  Ahmet Ali Çelikten all are Aces that could have taught Bessie Coleman her additional skills.

• Like 1

Been looking around, but I can't find any source with citations that mentions these two as knowing each other, or any of the other pilots you mentioned. The only cited sources I can find say she learned at the Caudron School in France. Also, I find no source that mentions Bullard being involved in aviation at the time she was learning to fly, he had become a jazz musician, and was trying to acquire a bistro.

• Like 1