Sign in to follow this  
MechaStalin

Crashes when using Draken in mercenary campaign

Hey guys, sorry to have two new posts close together but I felt like this deserved its own thread. last night I started up a mercenary campaign as I really like messing around with the idea of different planes and having to manage money and supplies. I was doing the default 1966 campaign on my SF2 install with lots of addon planes and weapon packs installed. Soviet planes are generally my favorite but most of the ones I like are more interceptor like and not the best for the mercenary campaigns in 66 it seems and the IRM armed MiG-19 doesnt have a whole lot of range.  It ran fine for my first few missions in the F-4 but whenever I use any of the Draken variants I get random crashes, usually when loading the loadout screen, bringing up the map, sending a command to my AI something like that the game locks up. I havent had this problem in an F4 or an addon MiG-19. I even switched to an install with no mods and installed just the Draken and a skin I converted from SF1 that has decals enabled so my mercenary plane didnt have Swedish markings on it haha. I even started a completely new campaign and played up to being able to afford a Draken again and same problem.

The event viewer listed crashes in aircraftobject.dll the directx10 dll and I think one or two more so it seems kind of random. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I dont fly the Draken a ton in single missions but havent had these issues with it there or engaging it on the Sweden map, I really want to fly this plane for this campaign so im kind of bummed out. Anyone have any ideas? I even tried just flying as a Draken with no wingmen incase it was somehow an issue with having mixed planes in the same flight and im pretty sure I had the same issue.

I just tried it again and got it to where I was dogfighting a few minutes into the mission, it crashed and this is the full text of the event viewer if this helps in any way but I doubt it.

Faulting application name: StrikeFighters2.exe, version: 13.7.0.35, time stamp: 0x51d22110
Faulting module name: AircraftObject.DLL, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x51d220bd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00043a21
Faulting process id: 0xc0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7871fdc20e2d8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\StrikeFighters2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects\AircraftObject.DLL
Report Id: 79c52201-f316-11eb-9f02-5ec1d79771b3

Edited by MechaStalin

Hey guys.

So the other day I decided to try lowering my graphics settings a bit thinking maybe it was some sort of issue with memory on the much busier campaign maps. The game ran perfectly for several hours flying a Draken in the 66 campaign and I figured I had it licked but the next morning it started happening again. I kept reflying the same mission and noticed I could get it to crash at the same point when I ordered my wingmen to start engaging. The crash was always around aircraftobject.dll

I poked around on google and found someone who had a similar bug in SF1 I believe with crashes most often on the desert campaign and narrowed it down to their wingmen trying to enhage with aim 7cs Iirc (whatever the earliest aim7 variant in that campaign is)

I reflew the mission not loading any sparrows and the problem went away. Even using aim7e I havent had any problem flying addon planes in the campaign. Im not sure what causes this bug but the other post said they did a full reinstall and that fixed it. Im going to have to try that soon and will make sure I dont install anything until ive done a full update of everything which I need to do anyways because I messed up the install order and dont have the campaign editor which I wanna try out.

I thought I would update this post with more details so someone with similar issues can hopefully find it and maybe we can find the cause of this issue and post a knowledge base article.

Also another question here semi related. Ive also been flying a 1977 mercenary campaign in one of the excellent addon MiG23s and ive noticed  weird issue where when I select the plane my drop tanks are greyed out even though they get added to the stock and I have to go back and forth to another different plane once or twice and click one of the pylons and then I will get the choice if anyone knows what causes that 

Also I remember in SF1 there was a way to make the radar display on the hud go away while still keeping the displays on the bottom that show alt, speed, callsign etc. Playing on a gamepad using the second stick to look around its not the easiest to go off of my instruments entirely but I still would like to have to use my radar in the cockpit.

15 minutes ago, MechaStalin said:

Also I remember in SF1 there was a way to make the radar display on the hud go away while still keeping the displays on the bottom that show alt, speed, callsign etc. Playing on a gamepad using the second stick to look around its not the easiest to go off of my instruments entirely but I still would like to have to use my radar in the cockpit.

That's why you should  get a joystick. I vaguely remember the button and key commands for my stick  but I have enough  buttons to operate the aircraft as needed. You're going to have to use the keyboard commands to manipulate  your radar.

Oh i am going to get one I actually played on a gamepad with a throttle for years when I was a broke teen and it worked alright. But now I want to get something better.

Right now I have it set up on a ps3 pad so left stick is my control surfaces, right stick looks around, the d pad is my radar controls for ranging modes and targets select toggles it start locks the target x triangle circle etc are my weapons controls first shoulder buttons are rudder and the second triggers are my thrust so if I dont press anything I have 50 percent and can hold it to raise or lower but I want to see if theres a way in the inis to make it function like a normal throttle that way and see if its awful or not also having the right stick snap back to center when released would be cool but idk if the game is setup to work that way.

Its far from perfect but it is very playable but I want to get a real setup

Yeah I don't think  the gamepad was on TK's mind when he made the controls or setup. Star Citizen if I recall has gamepad support  but that's been around for a long time too (in various forms). I think you're  just one  of those rare people who use the gamepad  for this game and don't think there will be gamepad support for the controls. I mean I could be wrong with a future patch (whenever that happens) but in it's current form gamepad  functionality (as with what you have) is not supported and you get what you get with yours of course.

Actually the game auto detected my gamepad and stuff and back in the sf1 days it even worked ok but yeah its for sure not the ideal way to play. My og gamepad though was weird and had a proper throttle so because of that It worked pretty well for flignt games I want to get a decent stick in the near future though and am excited to try the game that way finally. :3 I think for now ill just get a stick with a built in throttle though not a seperate one as my desk setup currently isnt the best.

I actually bit the bullet and did a full reinstall and backed up my mod folder this morning while I was getting ready for work gonna get everything fully patched up before doing anything and that will hopefully fix whatever weird bug is causing crashes with my wingmen and aim7s but I am also very excited to have access to the campaign editor this time as I havent tried it out yet.

19 minutes ago, MechaStalin said:

Actually the game auto detected my gamepad and stuff and back in the sf1 days it even worked ok but yeah its for sure not the ideal way to play. My og gamepad though was weird and had a proper throttle so because of that It worked pretty well for flignt games I want to get a decent stick in the near future though and am excited to try the game that way finally. :3 I think for now ill just get a stick with a built in throttle though not a seperate one as my desk setup currently isnt the best.

I initially played Flanker 1 (Eagle Dynamics) with keyboard and didn't do much real flying. it was hard flying keyboard. Then I got a stick with Flanker 2 and been flying stick since. I'm sure a gamepad would be weird for me to play that's for sure. But a stick opens up more possibilities and is better IMHO.