Sign in to follow this  
rogueranger1993

Question: A thought for an ARH missiles workaround

So, as I recall hearing at some point, ARH missiles have a bit of a problem with the AI in that the AI is incapable of reacting to them because it can't detect their onboard radar (Can someone please confirm this in case I'm wrong?)

I had the thought just now of a possible workaround. Essentially, why not model ARH missiles as SARH missiles, and then pair them with a 360* radar that will allow them to track targets after launch? The extra radar that highlights targets for the "ARH" missile could be attached to the aircraft as a kind of "ghost" targeting pod or something similar. I'd need someone more familiar with the game's code and how it works to tell me if this could be done or not, but I figured I'd throw the idea out there just in case this might be a possible workaround for an issue that may or may not exist, haha.

Edited by rogueranger1993

As I know, but maybe I am wrong, the AI doesn't have any problem to avoid or at least to try avoiding them (Not even in SF1 series I don't remember to encounter this problem). What I know is that you won't hear the RWR if they are launched at you, though your wingmen will warn you about them if you pay attention enough.

Of course you can modify an AMRAAM letting the weapons editor "know" that is a SAHM missile, but the realism would be out of the window in the next second, wouldn't it ? So it depends why you are here, that is what you have to ask yourself first. Are you for the military aircraft simulator or are you here just for the ride ? See my point ? ;)

Also is true that TK didn't bother to work AHM a little more to suit the case in question here. Maybe he will do it someday, but I can't tell you when that day will be. :)

Edited by UllyB