Sign in to follow this  
don246

A New EAW Install

I have purchased a older laptop with the intention of installing EAW the laptop is Windows 7 64bit when I tried to install my EAW from a disc it say the disk is 32 32bit so I can not install were can I get a EAW that is 64 bit?

Never heard of this issue. 64 bit will run 32bit.

Read my install document and manually copy and paste the files to your computer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply I copied the files off the cd to a new folder and called it EAW then installed the 1.2 patch and got the error 7217 so did a bit of digging and found the 1.28c patch fired up the EAW exe and got the screen was all garbled I could hear the music ok but could not see the menu so now im at a loss.

I did back up the 1.2 game so I can go back to it.

You have an unusual computer.

You should not be getting the 7217 error at all on Win7.

Download a wrapper program and wrap your game in it. Use DxWND, its what I use and works very well.

Well you could have knocked me down I decided to try the install on my Windows 10 PC and the menu /sound and everything else was working the only thing I need now is to get it to see my joystick I have a old Microsoft sidewinder, also the ones I use a Thrustmaster T16000m FCS and turtel beach rudder pedals.

I will give it a rest for now and try tomorrow thanks for any help may come back to you if I can not get the joystick to work I did see the sim sees the keyboard but I can not fly that way.

You have to have your Joystick as ID1 / Preferred Device in the Joystick Control Panel. 

See my Site for the Joystick Help Document, also the Troubleshoot Help Doc too, it has issue resolutions in it for controllers.

Not sure you will be able to get the Thrustmaster to work. EAW likes all in one Joysticks. However some devices linked together will work too.

Overall it sounds like you need to read my site from the first help document on. Or skim it if you know enough of the subjects I present.

Thanks for help I just disconected  my rudder pedals and joysticks and just had the Microsoft sidewinder and all was ok I was back in time what a blast.

Now to back up my EAW then see if I can mod it, I still have my GREAT SHOT mod cd from years ago that maybe enough for me.

I feel like I have just won the lottery and I have IL2 GB / MSFS 2020 / XPLANE 12 and others on my PC but for fun EAW has them all licked one mans meat another mans ---

heh. There is a Great Shot 2 and I think I remember seeing a update for it to run on the un-official 1.28 version, maybe it was the 'e' variant. (1.28e)

Glad I could Help. 

If you make a backup of 12 you could try EAWPRO and patch over the 1.2 with it. It more of the 1.2 fun and beyond, plus you can do 1024x768 res and move the pilot seat back to give you wider views.

Good luck.

Just to follow up. EAW runs great on Win7 except for color corruption on the menu screens and screen tearing on the map screens.

Both issues can be remedied with a Wrapper Program. So I'm just saying, give yourself a chance and use Win7 if that's what all you got.

BTW The error 7217 don experienced may be because win7 didn't apply a registry compat layer registry entry, and don was running natively. Which normally works on win7.

I also always use to say running natively gave the best experience, but I do prefer using a Wrapper even on Win10, for now. It runs great in D3D Mode using any of the handful of Wrappers that I have used in the past. I currently use DxWnd (by ghotik).
There is Nvidia table fog available and mouse polling to slow down the parameter mission selection options. The latter issue common to GOG release as well.

Edited by MarkEAW