Sign in to follow this  
Guderian

Broken heading indicator on Harrier?

First of all let me say that I am extremely excited about the project and the work so far looks great!

Now, about the Harrier: I seem to remember reading somewhere that the compass heading indicators on the HUD did not work during the Falklands war. IIRC the reason had something to do with being in the southern hemisphere, which the designers had apparently not anticipated. I can't find a source right now, but maybe someone else can?

Anyway, assuming this is actually true it might be a cool extra realism touch. IIRC the heading scale simply stayed at zero and didn't move. I don't think they were able to fix it during the conflict either.

First of all let me say that I am extremely excited about the project and the work so far looks great!

Now, about the Harrier: I seem to remember reading somewhere that the compass heading indicators on the HUD did not work during the Falklands war. IIRC the reason had something to do with being in the southern hemisphere, which the designers had apparently not anticipated. I can't find a source right now, but maybe someone else can?

Anyway, assuming this is actually true it might be a cool extra realism touch. IIRC the heading scale simply stayed at zero and didn't move. I don't think they were able to fix it during the conflict either.

I guess this is going to be an issue where their going to have to pick realism or functionality (presuming this is true)

I'm not saying I know anything about the war, but I do know a little about aircraft compasses. Most compasses for aircraft are designed for the magnetic variances in the northern hemisphere, not the southern, so it is certainly possible that they may have been inop during the war. if this can be verified, perhaps it would be a good thing to put in the difficulty menu?

I've read that the Harrier Gr.3 indeed had issues with their inertial navigation systems. Of course it could be included as extra options in difficulty menu. But if I remember well, the other british Harrier, the Sea Harrier FRS.1, in Ward's book its been described as 'superb' regarding its navigation system (the NAVHARS).