Sign in to follow this  
Tonci87

MissionTypes folder inside MissionTypes folder?

I noticed something strange while looking into the possibility of installing an additional Mission Types mod.

3rd party Mission types must be placed inside the MissionTypes folder, but when I looked in there, there already was a MissionTypes folder present, so it looked like this:

\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\MissionTypes\MissionTypes

Inside are folders for each region.

Now for the really weird part.

When I took those region folders and moved them into \WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\MissionTypes with 3rd party mods enabled, I suddenly get new/additional mission types for my recon Pilot in 1915.

Do you guys have the same? Was this an oversight by the devs?

Edited by Tonci87

Hallo @Tonci87,

you don't write, which additional mission type-mod you mean. There are very good mods from @Bletchley, Defence Mission Types and Mission Types - Recon Wars. In the readme you find the way, how to use additional mission types.

You find it here WOFF BH&H II-Mods: There! - 28.12.22 - WOFF/WOTR - FAQ/Technical Issues - CombatACE together with other mods, or on the direct way http://www.thatoneplease.co/WOFF.html under "General".

I hope, it was helpful. Greetings!

Thank you, but that is not what I meant. It was indeed in the process of installing one of Bletchleys mods that I discovered this.

Please do check if your file structure looks like this:

OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\MissionTypes\MissionTypes\Flanders

or like this:

\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\MissionTypes\Flanders

By moving the region folders up one level and enabling 3rd party mission types I now have a bit more variety in the missions I get.

Lets look at the German Bomber Missions for 1915 as an example.

This is the file that I think the game seems to be using by default (I´m not 100% sure about this one, maybe another file is used as default), found in \OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData:

Transfer
Transfer
NULL
NULL
You are transferring
Friendly
nothing
none
none
none
none
none
EOR
Scramble
Scramble
"loiter"
NULL
In bound enemy aircraft - Scramble
Friendly
sweep
none
none
none
none
none
EOR
Reconnaisance
Reconnaisance
"loiter"
NULL
Fly over the region and note any troop or vehicle movement
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
airfields
troops
none
Reccy
EOR
Artillery Spotting
Artillery Spotting
"startloop"
"endloop"
Make notes of troop positions and fall of shot for bombardment
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
ArtilleryCooperation
EOR
Bombing Behind Enemy Front Lines
"""turn"""
"""turn"""
Bombing Mission behind enemy lines - be careful of the ground fire and air activity
Enemy
strike
airfields
railyards
towns
troops
Bombing
EOR
Bombing Enemy Front Lines
Bombing Enemy Front Lines
"""turn"""
"""turn"""
Bombing Mission enemy front sectors - be careful of the ground fire and air activity
Enemy
strike
frontsectors
none
none
none
Bombing
EOR

So the defined mission types are Transfer, Scramble, Recon by taking notes, Artillery by taking notes.

Here is the corresponding file from the mission types folder:

Transfer
Transfer
NULL
NULL
You are transferring
Friendly
nothing
none
none
none
none
none
EOR
Scramble
Scramble
"loiter"
NULL
In bound enemy aircraft - Scramble
Friendly
sweep
none
none
none
none
none
EOR
Reconnaisance
Taktische Aufklärung
"loiter"
NULL
Report back to Army HQ the extent of our troops' advance or retreat, and any pockets of enemy resistance. Keep above 1 Km or they will pot you like Kaninchen!
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Reconnaisance
Strategische Aufklärung
"startloop"
"endloop"
Fly across the lines and note any troop or vehicle movement, with particular attention to towns and factories
Enemy
nothing
towns
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Reconaissance
Luftbildaufklärung
"startloop"
"endloop"
Take photos for Army HQ with the Flieger Kammer. When you are over the target at about 2 Km fly straight and level for at least 2 minutes whilst your Observer works the camera
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Artillery Spotting
Artilleriebeobachtung
"loiter"
NULL
Remember to take flares! If you have flares, use one to signal that the shoot is starting; use the other to signal the end of the shoot. You will be using our very latest Telefunken transmitter
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
ArtilleryCooperation
EOR
Reconnaisance
Strategische Aufklärung
"startloop"
"endloop"
Fly across the lines and note any troop or vehicle movement. Pay particular attention to any unusual rail activity
Enemy
nothing
railyards
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Artillery Spotting
Feindliche Artilleriebeobachtung
"loiter"
NULL
Identify the position of enemy artillery batteries for counter-battery bombardment
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
ArtilleryCooperation
EOR
Reconnaisance
Taktische Aufklärung
"loiter"
NULL
Report back to Army HQ the extent of our troops' advance or retreat. You should be able to identify our troops by the sun twinkling off their Pickelhauben! 
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Reconnaisance
Taktische Aufklärung
"loiter"
NULL
Report back to Army HQ the extent of our troops' advance. You have messages to drop on them, but stay high or they will shoot back!
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Artillery Spotting
Artilleriebeobachtung
"loiter"
NULL
Remember to take flares! If you have flares, use one to signal that the shoot is starting; use the other to signal the end of the shoot. You will be using the very latest Telefunken transmitter
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
ArtilleryCooperation
EOR
Reconnaisance
Luftbildaufklärung
"startloop"
"endloop"
Take photos for Army HQ with the Flieger Kammer. When you are over the target at about 2 Km fly straight and level for at least 2 minutes whilst your Observer works the camera 
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Reconnaisance
Strategische Aufklärung
"startloop"
"endloop"
Fly across the lines and note any troop or vehicle movement. Pay particular attention to any unusual activity on and around airfields
Enemy
nothing
airfields
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Reconnaisance
Taktische Aufklärung
"loiter"
NULL
Report back to Army HQ the extent of our troops' advance. You will be dropping messages on lead elements, but don't fly too low or they might fire back
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Artillery Spotting
"loiter"
NULL
Identify the position of enemy artillery batteries for counter-battery bombardment. Remind your Observer that he owes me 5 pfennig
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
ArtilleryCooperation
EOR
Bombereinsatz
"""turn"""
"""turn"""
Today we are attacking an enemy airfield. Remind the armorer to fit bombs, or your Observer will not be pleased!
Enemy
strike
airfields
none
none
none
Bombing
EOR
Bombereinsatz
"""turn"""
"""turn"""
Today we are attacking an enemy rail junction. On your return you will be expected to turn out on parade
Enemy
strike
railyards
none
none
none
Bombing
EOR
Lone Wolf Mission
Testflug
"startloop"
"endloop"
You will be testing your engine and rigging today. A circuit of the airfield is enough, but you may scout for any target of opportunity
Enemy
nothing
none
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Artillery Spotting
Artilleriebeobachtung
"loiter"
NULL
Remember to take flares! If you have flares, use one to signal that the shoot is starting; use the other to signal the end of the shoot. You will be using the very latest Telefunken transmitter
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
ArtilleryCooperation
EOR
Reconnaisance
Luftbildaufklärung
"startloop"
"endloop"
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Lone Wolf Mission
Alleinflug
"startloop"
"endloop"
Practice your navigation today, but you may also scout for any target of opportunity. On your return you will attend a map reading course at Army HQ
Enemy
nothing
none
none
none
none
Reccy
EOR
Artillery Spotting
"loiter"
NULL
Identify the position of enemy artillery batteries for counter-battery bombardment
Enemy
nothing
frontsectors
none
none
none
ArtilleryCooperation
EOR

The defined mission types are Transfer, Scramble, Tactical recon by noting troop positions, Strategic Recon by taking notes of enemy formations at for example factories, Aerial photography by flying straight and level for two minutes, Artillery coordination with flares and radio (didn´t get that one yet, so not sure how it works), Strategic recon by taking notes above a railyard, Enemy artillery spotting for counter battery fire (didn´t get that one yet and not sure how it works, since I´ve yet to see an artillery battery), Tactical recon of troop positions and dropping the notes on the HQ,  Strategic Recon over enemy Airfileds, some more of those recon missions with different flavor texts, Testflight, Lone Wolf Recon.

My thinking is that if those things are in the gamefiles already, then the devs must have intended to do something with them.

At first please make sure, that you activate / deactivate your mods with the jsgme-tool. 

At second it's the best in my eyes, you contact @Bletchley on the SimHQ-forum for your point: Wings over Flanders Fields -  Mods > Thread: Bletchleys  mission  mods (from 03/29/22), or/and via PM there.

Greetings

Edited by Becker02

Hi I think you misunderstood me, what I´m describing is present without mods enabled.

Okay, my consideration was, that @Bletchley or @Polovski of course are very good adresses in my opinion, if you want to speak about mission types.

Greetings

If you enable 3rd party, then put in some actual 3rd party missions, from other people, it will find them.  Moving some files you found in there makes no sense.

Ignore those files they are not 3rd party, so irrelevant and the fact you had to move them shows they are not in use.  Perhaps they're from a test, perhaps by mistake I don't know.