Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

question for the 5th Gen flyers out there

what radars do you find picks up stealth fairly well?

part of the specs on the Top Aces Vipers is an "unspecified AESA radar" that picks up the 35s and even 22s better than the legacy mechanical radars. recent interview with a Raptor driver even credited a sortie against a Top Ace Viper as "the most challenging and fun hour of his life", so they must be doing something right.

im not trying to re invent any wheels, but since these Vipers have a primary mission as aggressors for the current USAF, including its 5th gen assests, i figure i might as well tweek the radar to be better able to fit the bill

what jet in game do you feel has the best performance against stealthy platforms?

NOTE: TIA for any responses, but i will be hyper busy tommorow so might not get back to this until later evening my time. Thank you all again

Edited by daddyairplanes

I'm making 2 mod of fifth generation fighters, so I've been doing a lot of testing on this, and based on gameplay I think some of the late model F-15Es are often a big threat.Well, actually, quite a few modern birds are threat too.Many of them can detect me and attack from considerable distances.It depends on the modder's design,but for some advanced radar, this is not unreasonable.

I have seen elsewhere: "F-22 can be detected by APG-68 and APG-80, at ranges of 5-10km", so it is reasonable for other better radars to detect stealth aircraft at farther distances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For reasons we all know,I think it is not possible to restore AESA in the game.

However, for 4th/5th generation fighters, I usually set a very low TWSUpdateTime(about 0.1-0.01 for example) and ScanRate(about 200+) in the avionics.ini to eliminate the high scanning delay of traditional mechanical radar. And I usually give a higher TrackStrength, about 200-250. Higher strength can more effectively eliminate the effects of ECM and low RCS.

Of course, different modders may have different standards for this, and they may set higher values. We need to set a standard ourselves.

I usually consider the number of T/R units of these AESAs, and their power IRL.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to build a function formula for this, so most of the data was obtained by comparison and testing.

We lack some working modes of other modern radars in SF2, so I will rely on the existing TWS modes for most things.

This is my usual method of "simulating" AESA. In addition, I will draw independent radar MFD images for them separately, but that's another story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a screenshot of the APG-81 test, for reference

4318d45bcb838a2672fe900b00cc9798.png

Edited by simonmiller416
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, simonmiller416 said:

However, for 4th/5th generation fighters, I usually set a very low TWSUpdateTime(about 0.1-0.01 for example) and ScanRate(about 200+) in the avionics.ini to eliminate the high scanning delay of traditional mechanical radar. And I usually give a higher TrackStrength, about 200-250. Higher strength can more effectively eliminate the effects of ECM and low RCS.

Interesting! I'm not exactly happy with the values I chose for the F-22 add-on we released, even because at the time I couldn't test it against other comparable stealth aircraft. If you have any suggestions for the F-22, I'll add them to the list of fixes and/or improvements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1