Sign in to follow this  
rlwicker1967

F-104G Performance

I seldom venture into flying the early Century Fighters but, I decided to get into the F-104G for a challenge. I remember the folklore of the performance of some of the jets but, I've always been disappointed with the results in these sims. So, I'm flying the 1v1 against the MiG-21 which would normally have me in the F-4J. But, I changed to the F-104G. What the heck is going on here? Can I really pull G and have the Mach numbers increase in a turn? Is that realistic? I really expected the speed to bleed off when pulling high Gs but, I was able to increase Mach speeds in a turn and when climbing at a 30 deg angle above 25K feet. Is that accurate? That is the kind of performance I would expect from the F-4s after listening to the accounts of flyers of the F-4 in the videos I've watched. I wish it could carry more missiles! I actually got a "SLOW" alert above 35K in a mission.

Do not see that on the F-104G in Nato Fighters for example (M0.9 and M1.2) ,  if anywhere would expect that was only possible at high speed at lower altitudes.

Are you on Hard flight model in settings?

Not an easy answer..................however above 350KCAS the F-104G was generally near F-4 performance in parts of the envelope (depends on versions as well). Turning was done at speed with the manouvre (landing) flaps down.

High and Trans/ Supersonic is where the real thing was designed to operate in its original air superiority role, and those wings work better there, and made the real thing pretty maneverable there, at speed.

• Like 1

Yes, I use the Hard Flight Model settings.I got the slow alert after about Mach 2.22 at 45K.

The issue would be related to the flight model you are using then I guess.

The max aero speed limit from the Manual on the F-104G is M2.0 and less on a hot day, as one factor is air inlet temperature. So overspeed basically.