Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Volkstrauertag

today in germany is the so called volkstrauertag. the pendant to remembrance day. no loud music is allowed today. clubs had yesterday to shut down music as soon as it's midnight, to remember the fallen. first of ww1 and nowadays to remember any victim of armed conflicts. many people today are visiting monuments and graves of fallen soldiers etc.:salute:

In England it is Rememberance Sunday where we have Rememberance to the war dead wounded and those who came back. :salute:

I have a story from Sweden about Veterans and the utter lack of respect we have for them.

In Sweden, a Veteran is often seen as a dumb brick, an idiot who loves to kill, a rambo-wannabe whos only purpose in life is to waste tax payer dollars by being in the military. The older generation, who endured the constription usually have alot more understanding, but even then, few understands why anyone volentary would want to go to a foreign land and do their duty. Of course, once they mate a name for themselfs, some of them are proud over their accomplishments, but even in Kosovo, there where harsh words over "Shootbat". Soldiers in uniform can also expect to be held accountable for US Foreign Policy. Why? Because we are in Afganistan. There is no respect for the men and women who have chosen the role as defenders. To thank a soldier for serving is seen as an oddity.

Worse yet is the military and the goverments lack of support.

Do you know it was only a few years back the Goverment and the Military activly started supporting veterans after leaving Veterans of Kongo, Gaza, Cyprus, Kosovo and Afganistan to fend for themselfs? Most of the work was done by small, volentary organisations. We completly lacked a veteran policy and I dare not guess how many shaken up veterans who have suffered because of it.

We finally got a Veterans day, but it remains largely ignored.

At the bell tower to our protestant church in my hometown Norden there is this war memorial for the Great War.

I remember that in my childhood days the community put a wrath there on each rememberance day.

I don't know if it is still done.

May all those boys and men, who fell in that endless thunderstorm of steel, rest in peace. :salute:

Edited by Olham

May all those boys and men, who fell in that endless thunderstorm of steel, rest in peace. :salute:

And may warriors someday be something remembered only.:drinks:

today in germany is the so called volkstrauertag. the pendant to remembrance day. no loud music is allowed today. clubs had yesterday to shut down music as soon as it's midnight, to remember the fallen. first of ww1 and nowadays to remember any victim of armed conflicts. many people today are visiting monuments and graves of fallen soldiers etc.:salute:

Hi, weird, Creaghorn, as my family -in -law , Oberbayern, was absolutely not aware of what kind of day , November the 11 th could be in France :blink:...

Hi, weird, Creaghorn, as my family -in -law , Oberbayern, was absolutely not aware of what kind of day , November the 11 th could be in France :blink:...

that's because in every other country it's celebrated in such a manner that everybody knows it. in german the people who know, they know, who not, the don't. military stuff etc. is pretty much muted here. same with all the german soldiers fighting in afghanistan etc. people hardly appreciate anything a soldier is doing there. in the news there is only something mentioned if some germans die at once due to an ambush or something. a soldier is not much respected. when seeing one in uniform the people rather think why this freak isn't wearing civil cloths instead of glorifying playing war.

especially since in germany carneval starts on 11.11. not too many people think about volkstrauertag, although i'm also pretty sure that many people here also don't know why carneval is celebrated in the first place.

that's because in every other country it's celebrated in such a manner that everybody knows it. in german the people who know, they know, who not, the don't. military stuff etc. is pretty much muted here. same with all the german soldiers fighting in afghanistan etc. people hardly appreciate anything a soldier is doing there. in the news there is only something mentioned if some germans die at once due to an ambush or something. a soldier is not much respected. when seeing one in uniform the people rather think why this freak isn't wearing civil cloths instead of glorifying playing war.

especially since in germany carneval starts on 11.11. not too many people think about volkstrauertag, although i'm also pretty sure that many people here also don't know why carneval is celebrated in the first place.

yes...here in France it is still the armistice day , but as the last WW1 veteran died three years ago, it will become a rememberance day to those who died in armed conflicts.

PS: my neighbours here in France (their Ferienhaus) are the owners of the Cinecitta/ Metropolis theaters .

PS: my neighbours here in France (their Ferienhaus) are the owners of the Cinecitta/ Metropolis theaters .

you mean the cinecitta cinema complex in nürnberg? wow.

i just recently learned that THX is not a sound technology like dolby digital but just more or less a hightech soundsystem and the perfect alignment of speakers. so nothing to do with the quality of the sound itself but how and in what manner you hear it. and that many cinemas have to pay licence for the THX label year after year although the speakers are aligned like that already.

you mean the cinecitta cinema complex in nürnberg? wow.

i just recently learned that THX is not a sound technology like dolby digital but just more or less a hightech soundsystem and the perfect alignment of speakers. so nothing to do with the quality of the sound itself but how and in what manner you hear it. and that many cinemas have to pay licence for the THX label year after year although the speakers are aligned like that already.

yes, they are very friendly people and I was impressed how he (Wolfram) is proud and passionated by his theater.

cheers.

yes, they are very friendly people and I was impressed how he (Wolfram) is proud and passionated by his theater.

cheers.

yes, and he is right to be proud. the biggest and most modern cinematic theater complex in europe AFAIK. diners, restaurants, lounges, dozens of cinemas in all sizes and movies in different languages, 3-d domescreen cinema, events, conventions etc.