Sign in to follow this  
mue

increasing the view distance of target objects

I have the following problem: Target objects are shown only if I'm very close to the objects. Moreover the distance where the objects appear depends on the field of view (fov). The most time I use a fov of 90 degrees. With a smaller fov (= zoom in) the maximum view distance of the objects is greater.
Take, for example, the (stock) warehouse in the range terrain: With fov = 90 deg the warehouse appears at ~3 nm, with fov = 60 deg it appears at ~5 nm and with fov = 30 deg it appears at ~12 nm. At fov = 90 and 60 deg I think the maximum view distances are way too small.

The only solution I found to increase the maximum view distance is changing "MaxVisibleDist" in <terrain>_types.ini and (LOD) "Distance" in <targetobject>.ini. But it's a little bit tedious to change every single object. For the warehouse I set in range_types.ini "MaxVisibleDist" and in warehouse1.ini "Distance" both to 60000.0 Now the warehouse appears with fov = 90 at ~9 nm. Thats ok for me.

Does anyone know how "MaxVisibleDist" and "Distance" result in actual maximum view distance at a given fov?
Is there an easier way to increase the view distances, without changing every single object?

might be you overall graphics quality dependant like terrain detail, view distance and objects quality, IIRC engine scales the values according to these