Sign in to follow this  
leodagan76

Italian terrain for SF2 - someone managed ?

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to make working the gterl's Italian terrain http://combatace.com/files/file/14440-italian-terrain-incl-1915-1917-campaign/

for SF2. It's an amazing terrain for denissoliveira's swiss Mirages, for instance...

I have just copy and past the terrain folder in my SF2E mod. I experience several problems...

Immediate crash at the end of loading screen (don't have the problem if I start "in the air")

Strange flashing surface (that are not the Nvidia driver problem as all my other terrains work perfectly):

994706img00115.jpg

644614img00116.jpg

616487img00118.jpg

365924img00119.jpg

I know it's a FE terrain, but as the game engine seems to be similar... I have tried several tips, as this one http://combatace.com/topic/54856-converting-sfwo-terrains-to-sf2-usage/, without succes. Is anyone of you has made modification to use this terrain in SF2 with succes, and could share?

If yes it would be great, and I thank in advance!

Leo

Very interesting stuff.  A couple of SF game maps have been converted to run in FE, so perhaps Wrench or Gepard can suggest how to convert an FE map to run in SF?

A FE map does not really run for first gen sims (SFP1,WOE,WOI,WOV). So i guess that the same problem appears when you try to convert a FE2 map into SF2 world.

IIRC. It are not only the strange graphic anomalies, there are also differences in the location of the targets, runways, etc.

The graphic anomalies i guess could be solved with some settings in the flightengine.ini file. So it was in first gen sims world, but i dont know, wheter you still can edit this file in SF2 successfully.

Edited by Gepard

considering you're going to be missing ALL the terrain objects, as those are stored in the FE terrain cats, one might be smarter to simply take that terrain, build an SF special terrain editor install, and make the necessary adjustments there. Like retiling the airfield zones for the larger SF fields, rebuild the types ini completely to add all the required SF terrain objects, rewrite the cat pointer to one of the SFs terrain cats (desert or germanyce would prolly be the 2 best choices), check all height statements for each and every tile...

then there's the size issue -- aren't FE terrains smaller than 1000 x 1000 km??

Then there's the nations -- is there the correct location the "usual suspects". Are there actual locations for NATO & WarPac bases? Does the terrain cover the region sufficiently to do so?

I'm sure it's doable, but its not something the inexperienced should attempt.

Hum... Well, it seems to be quiet difficult considering my inexperience. Unfortunately, I think it's better to follow your advice, and give up! Anyway, thanks for your answers!