Hello all,

I am attempting to create a custom sound for The A-10 GAU-8 cannon in Strike Fighters 2 but am not having much luck. I have created a "Sounds" folder off the root of the game folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2) and placed my custom sound file (GAU8.wav) here. I have also extracted the GUNDATA.INI and SOUNDLIST.INI files, modified them, and placed them in the "Flight" folder. In the GUNDATA.INI file I changed the "GunFireSound" value for [GunData029] from "Vulcan" to "GAU8". In the SOUNDLIST.INI file under the "[soundList]" section, I added "SoundFile034=GAU8". I then added the following entry at the bottom of the file:

[GAU8]
Priority=NORMAL
Looped=TRUE
NumBuffers=4
3DSound=TRUE
DopplerEffect=FALSE
MaxDist=1000.000000
MinDist=50.000000
InsideConeAngle=360
OutsideConeAngle=360
ConeOutsideVolume=0

After doing this I still hear the stock Vulcan cannon sound when firing the gun in the A-10. Obviously I have done something wrong or left something out and would really appreciate any help getting this to work.

Thanks in advance,

-Jiver

Are you sure you changed everything in the data file for the weapon itself ? check for little mistakes, its usually something you have input incorrectly or missed off, we have all done it lol.......I assume also the sound file you have made is in exactly the same format as the vulcan.wav ......I have experienced the occasional issue with sound files myself, sometimes they just refuse to work, for some mysterious and unknown reason.

Hi Trotski,

The only thing I changed in the GUNDATA.INI file was the sound name for the GAU-8. The stock sound name was "Vulcan" and I changed it to "GAU8". Is there another ini file specifically for the GAU-8?

This:

(C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2)

is the wrong location.

All modifications go in the MODS folder

for example:

C:\Users\Kevin\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2

NOTHING ever gets touched or added to the 'core install' in the /ProgramFiles/xx/xx/ folder. Unless it's an offical 3rd Wire patch or DLC

The problem is that the gundata.ini and/or the weapondata.ini  does nothing in SF2. You cannot modify them. Even if you put them into the objects folder. 

SF2 uses it'd own gundata.ini in the Objects001.CAT.  You can either use Gun Editor  which can access the stock gundata.ini in the CAT  -  OR  create a gun addon  into the <yourmod>\Objects\Guns\YourGun   Need two files, YourGun.INI  and YourGun_data.ini.  There you config the sound of it.

Same for new weapons. Weapondata.ini cannot be accessed directly only via editor or created mods in the mod\objects\weapons folder. 

These files are being compiled from stock and mod folder files each time the game is started.

There you go.......I should have spotted that you had it in the wron location as well, sorry my bad, not on top of my game at the moment.......once you have the file in the right place, let us know if you have got it working

Thanks Trotski, Wrench, and Snailman! I will try this when I get home tonight and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again,

-Jiver

Ok guys, now I'm a bit confused. Here is what I have done:

I used the Strike Fighters 2 Gun Editor to edit the 30MM_GAU8 cannon. I changed the "Gun Fire Sound Name" from "Vulcan" to "GAU8" and then saved my change and closed the editor. I noticed that the editor created the folder "30MM_GAU8" under C:\Users\Russ\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe. Within this folder are two files: 30MM_GAU8.ini and 30MM_GAU8_data.ini.

I then created a folder named "Sounds" under C:\Users\Russ\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe and placed a copy of my sound file (GAU8.wav) within this folder. I then launched the game and started a single mission in the A-10. When firing the gun I cannot hear any sound at all.

What am I doing wrong here?

-Jiver

Now you have to register your sound in the soundlist.ini  if has to be in the flight dir (or you have to get it extracted first if you don't have it yet)

This one does work the way like that. Create a line with sound number, then make the entry itself.

Weapon, gun and vehicle sounds have to be registered. Some do not need this... plane sounds maybe? I can't remember now

wouldn't it be simpler to just get one of the weapons packs, that has all this already done??

That got it Snailman....excellent!!!

Thanks so much for your help!

Now that I know how to do this I'm going to put together a sound mod for SF2 using authentic sounds. When it is done I will post it here for you guys to download,

Many thanks,

-Jiver

wouldn't it be simpler to just get one of the weapons packs, that has all this already done??

Wrench, I looked for gun sound mods here but could not find any. Besides, I enjoy making my own custom sounds.