USAFMTL or anybody SF...can you peek at something for me? I have one or two cloud pics (SF/WoV) over at ThirdWire and discussion of what I'm trying to do...but I may need advice on making it usable for other simmers.

Page 3 , a few cloud pics ~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2092&start=16

Page 1 starts the discussion when I first started learning how to work with this effect.

Thanks~

a taste...

img31.jpg

img00035.jpg

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Got me my friend how to get it to work. I am a mere skin and campaign builder. But it sure looks good.

Got me my friend how to get it to work. I am a mere skin and campaign builder. But it sure looks good.

Thanks. I'm still working it. I need to make more cloud patterns for one thing. But I could use some advice on how hideously complex this thing is. I'm just starting with this. If you or others would like to help experiment, I can perhaps upload some stuff or email -- a smaller 4MB 1024x1024 cloud TGA actually works well, but I've been working with larger cloud files (12MB). At least while experimenting, it may be best to start with a seperate SF/WoV install (or copy folder) because of the changes listed below...

This is no texture replacement and possibly (?) goes beyond basic new effects. It will require radical changes in FLIGHTENGINE grafix distance settings, and may require an almost complete replacement of ENVIRONMENT file. The visibility distance requirements are extreme, but I handle them nicely with my primitive ATI-9200 video card (my 9800 lost fan). There is only one new "effect" and that is the TGA cloud so at least that is simple, and one new weapon (bomb) to drop that calls this cloud effect -- so weapon editor is needed by downloaders. Not so simple is the following...in fact, its quite nasty...but I reason its because of the core nature of this potential pre-mod...

For the first time in SF, these are "real" clouds, in the sense they exist in space or position above the map, and you can be hundreds of miles away from them, thus they can be seen as thin strips just above the horizon, far away -- exactly where the static SF/WoV horizon clouds are located -- that's the problem. You notice, I use no horizon clouds as I've found a way to disable them and I don't know if there is any official method. It may be okay looking to leave both working together, but I'm not sure. If there is no "official" way to disable them, then I should include blank replacement horizon cloud TGA files which is my method of disabling them. What I did is make multiple copies of the almost blank Horizon Cloud 11 and re-name them as all the other clear sky horizon clouds -- and then only use "clear" weather and never use heavier weather which brings up the darker horizon clouds. I continue to use the OVERCAST though, as it does not need the SF horizon clouds.

Thus, my SF horizon is always clear of the static clouds, making way for real clouds (cirrus/cirrocumlus only) distant from the player's cockpit or camera viewpoint. It would be best if I did not require the downloader to have to copy and re-name TGA files, so I should include any replacement "blank" horizon clouds to be dropped into Flight folder. I say "cirrus only" but assume somebody will find a way to make these non-transparent. In fact, I just now thought that may be a great idea. One issue I'm having is that the terrain below is not just visible through the clouds (which is okay) but is also illuminated slightly, but not too bad, but can be noticeable at night. Non-transparent may solve this. I am as ignorant about flight sim computer grafix as any mere skinner or campaign builder. :yes:

So all I do now is post pretty screenshots, showing what is possible with the sim, which is getting more impressive the older it gets!! I've been posting recently on other boards that SF is the sim to watch over the next few years. Sim Lite but Environment Hard could be very attractive. Also, I would hope TK could incorporate the *basic* cloud ideas here, since they are so simple and very fast performance (recall -- I am getting great performance with these clouds on ancient ATI-9200).

Thanks~

Guest Saganuay82

That looks very good.

You have seen Polaks clouds?

I have seen them and they are Aussom!! They are certainly a much easier install then these things here will ever be....and you don't need to drop a ... Cloud Bomb :blink:

haha...its not so complex as I feared. I tested it on an un-modded un-touched SF 3.2 and my modded WoV, and it takes a little work but not too bad at all. I will provide complete written instructions. The 12MB TGA cloud file compresses down to about 1MB ... aussom!! However, perhaps I should test it after un-compressing it -- everything must be tested.

I did it! ... I think. I uploaded it into SF Terrain/Mods but its not "open" yet. How does that work?

I tied the effect to a "ship" object, easy install, easy to use in the Kreelin editor, and the clouds move across the maps.

Some pics...

7e0a015b.jpg55fbb6a5.jpg

ee87a4f1.jpg7da4ecfc.jpg

17e6dcce.jpgb2795dc4.jpg

Look damn good Lexx. I will be using them for sure.

Thanks.

Its up now. I test downloaded it and it worked okay.

DO'H I forgot to put the 3rdWire thread into the Readme file. I KNEW something like this would happen.

I just got back home. USAFMTL or others -- did it work?

It worked for me.

USAFMTL::

It worked for me.

THANKS!! I started a Panic there for a while. I would like to see a screenshot or two if you or others have time. I am using rather bizzare Environment and FlightEngine files, so my sky colours and sun effects are different from stock.

Apparently you can Edit your uploads. Under "file" is...

[browse] A file is currently present

Just upload the replacement zip file? The difference will be the Install instruction file inside the zip.

Did anybody fall asleep reading that?

You know what though, with clouds coming in the next patch, these will not work.

I wonder if Polak's excellent SkyMod will work with WoE?

Time will tell, I s'pose...

USAFMTL::

You know what though, with clouds coming in the next patch, these will not work.

They will work even better. TK's low altitude fair weather cumulus at 4,000 feet, and high level cirrus at 30,000 feet. I always loved to watch these two types together, moving at vastly differing apparent speeds and directions -- the low cumulus seemingly moving faster because they are about 8 times closer than the actually faster moving high level clouds.

Better, I wonder what we can do with TK's clouds when we get them. I'd like to build up towering cumulus clouds, and place them here and there on a map -- isolated storms perhaps. In fact, this should be possible now, if somebody with MAX can make 3D cloud models -- think of the antennas on top of that AM radio tower, but without the tower visible, and no hit structure to collide with. Just a gigantic size model.