Sign in to follow this  
BUFF

ATi Catalyst 6.4 out

Thanks for the heads up ;)

ok, so I have the 9200SE, I didnt see it listed in the supported section in the release notes. Do I stay with 6.1????

From the notes:

The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following ATI desktop products:

Radeon® X1900 series

Radeon® X1800 series

Radeon® X1600 series

Radeon® X1300 series

Radeon® X850 series

Radeon® X800 series

Radeon® X700 series

Radeon® X600 series

Radeon® X550 series

Radeon® X300 series

Radeon® 9X00 series

Radeon® 8500 series

Radeon® 7X00 series

Your 9200 is a 9X00 series, so it is supported. New drivers are always a gamble. I had to install Cat 6.3 on every PC I have with various Radeon cards just to support a new game I am playing. I am trying Cat 6.4 since it is supposed to make a modest improvement in performance for my new x1800xt. A lot of the time, an older driver is better with older cards. For the longest time, Cat 4.12 was the best one to use with my Radeon 9800 Pro cards and Cat 3.7 was the best for my 8500/9100 cards. But somewhere along the way, the newer drivers actually worked better than the old ones, so I upgraded to Cat 5.x series from 5.3 on. Now all of my cards are on 6.3 (until today) which has worked great on for all of my applications with all of my cards.

Try out some of your games, note the frame rates and any other issues. Uninstall the old drivers. Install the new ones. Run the same games again and compare. If it works equal or better, leave in the new driver. If it causes problems or is slower, uninstall it and go back to your original driver ;)

From the notes:

The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following ATI desktop products:

Radeon® X1900 series

Radeon® X1800 series

Radeon® X1600 series

Radeon® X1300 series

Radeon® X850 series

Radeon® X800 series

Radeon® X700 series

Radeon® X600 series

Radeon® X550 series

Radeon® X300 series

Radeon® 9X00 series

Radeon® 8500 series

Radeon® 7X00 series

Your 9200 is a 9X00 series, so it is supported. New drivers are always a gamble. I had to install Cat 6.3 on every PC I have with various Radeon cards just to support a new game I am playing. I am trying Cat 6.4 since it is supposed to make a modest improvement in performance for my new x1800xt. A lot of the time, an older driver is better with older cards. For the longest time, Cat 4.12 was the best one to use with my Radeon 9800 Pro cards and Cat 3.7 was the best for my 8500/9100 cards. But somewhere along the way, the newer drivers actually worked better than the old ones, so I upgraded to Cat 5.x series from 5.3 on. Now all of my cards are on 6.3 (until today) which has worked great on for all of my applications with all of my cards.

Try out some of your games, note the frame rates and any other issues. Uninstall the old drivers. Install the new ones. Run the same games again and compare. If it works equal or better, leave in the new driver. If it causes problems or is slower, uninstall it and go back to your original driver ;)

K, thanx