Sign in to follow this  
atoll1

SP4 - great (positive) and great (negative) - Just some discussion - no important questions for now

Whew...I just downloaded the SP4 patches, read the instructions about installing to a new clean install, read some of the posts here, read some of the knowledge base documents......is anyone else feeling the "burden" of having to re-install all those cool modifications you've made to SP3 all over again?!!?

I wish there were easier ways to reinstall all thoes planes, ground objects, missions, environment mods etc. to SP4....sometimes I feel as if I spend more time patching than I do flying and enjoying SFP1 =)

Whew...I just downloaded the SP4 patches, read the instructions about installing to a new clean install, read some of the posts here, read some of the knowledge base documents......is anyone else feeling the "burden" of having to re-install all those cool modifications you've made to SP3 all over again?!!?

I wish there were easier ways to reinstall all thoes planes, ground objects, missions, environment mods etc. to SP4....sometimes I feel as if I spend more time patching than I do flying and enjoying SFP1 =)

What I did was just backed up my folder before I did the SP4 patch (i.e. burned the whole thing onto a DVD) then did a clean install, patched, then pasted the old folder's aircraft, effects, sounds and a few other non-critical folders back into the patched one. I installed the latest weapons pack, though, rather than move over the old one, but by keeping the planes, pilot records, and effects on back up, it made the process a lot faster than completely reinstalling every single plane/effect.

What I did was just backed up my folder before I did the SP4 patch (i.e. burned the whole thing onto a DVD) then did a clean install, patched, then pasted the old folder's aircraft, effects, sounds and a few other non-critical folders back into the patched one. I installed the latest weapons pack, though, rather than move over the old one, but by keeping the planes, pilot records, and effects on back up, it made the process a lot faster than completely reinstalling every single plane/effect.

Yep that is the best way to do it and no headache.

Just rename your strike fighters or wov or woe folder. Call it SF or WOV or WOE, just the initials, whatever. The install will default to the standard install folder. Then just paste your mods into the new install. Be carefull not to accidentally copy one of the old .DLL's to the new folder. It messes everything up. I speak from painfull experience.

Could you also use that ModMan program? I was thinking you could but also, I don't even play the games, just trying to decide if I want to get into them or not.

Yep that is the best way to do it and no headache.

Thanks for your thoughts!

The other thing is moving the ground objects over to SP4. Since SP4 no longer requires the groundobjectlist, I wonder if I should just move over the object folders themselves (but then in SP3, these are scattered between folders and I think LOD files outside the folder?)? Oh well...I'm still trying to remember that this is fun and that I shouldn't get all worked up! =)

Oops, posted that before seeing the groundobject knowledge base http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=11815 (thank you so much for having a knowledge base!!)

Still, that means going through a bunch of ground objects...! =) Hope this discussion thread proves useful to others.