Sign in to follow this  
baffmeister

Desert Target Zone Beta 0.80

File Name: Desert Target Zone Beta 0.80

File Submitter: baffmeister

File Submitted: 3 Sep 2006

File Updated: 14 Dec 2006

File Category: SF Maps/Terrain Mods

For Strike Fighters Project 1 and Strike Fighters Gold. Beta 0.80 because it's about 80% complete. I wanted a terrain to fly real time low level strike missions that wouldn't take too long. Dhimar and Paran are reduced to 3 Airfields aside and the frontline is relocated to an area in central Dhimar that has some nice rolling hills. There are some frontline positions as well as strategic targets further from the new border. It should only take about 30 minutes to fly a strike mission including a bit of air to air on the way home. Main Features:

1. 134 target areas. [some quite small, some just for scenery]

2. 10 SAM sites for Paran, starting in 1967.

3. 3X zoom planning map from an earlier version of Strike Fighters. [ shows desert and green spaces better]

4. My Quicker Take Offs mod is pre-installed for the airfields being used. [easy to remove if you have issues.]

5. Some Third Wire objects are being used for more than one purpose. Example: Building 2 could be a Government Building, a Police station, a Residential Building, or an Elementry School. [Mega Minus Points!]

6. Some Factory Place objects being used, with more to come.

7. Install technique will create a new Desert Terrain called DesertTZ. Your stock Desert terrain and target areas will remain unchanged.

8. Some Ground Attack, Truck and Shipping routes [with more to come] so you can fly CAS, ARMED RECON and ANTI SHIP missions.

NOTE: I'm using specific AAA objects for Paran, so the useable date range is 1955 to 1980. More info in the Read Me.

This project has been very slow and updates will arrive about every 3 months. It's been more fun blowing up target areas than building them. Future plans are for about 160 target areas. When all the target areas are complete I will probably try and make a few " mini-campaigns" using stock aircraft.

CREDITS:

1. This project uses some Factory Place objects that were made by " Mitch". Thanks Mitch, whoever and whereever you are.

2. Some of the Factory Place objects I lifted from Gepards excellent DRV terrain and have been somewhat modified by him. Thanks Gepard.

3. Thanks to "Wrench" for hosting the Factory Place objects at his websight.

Any problems or ideas for this project, please PM me here at Combat Ace. Cheers!

Updates: 04sept2006-beta 0.41 Install technique simplified. Thanks again, Crusader. One factory object repositioned. Slight change to the types.ini. If you downloaded the beta 0.40 you might want to wait for a bigger update.

14Dec2006-beta 0.80 MAJOR UPDATE. Only up to 134 target areas but many have been extensively revised. 3 new Airfields added. Moving water enabled. Paran gets the SA-13L Mobile SAM for point defence, available HERE. Some new factory place objects added.Next and final update in about 2 months.

Click here to download this file

excellent idea ! I had something similar in my mind for months, but never got around doing it LOL....

looking forward to more advanced versions :-)

btw...simply add

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

to the DesertTZ.ini, no need to copy the cat file, saves HD space and some work :D

;)

btw...simply add

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat

to the DesertTZ.ini, no need to copy the cat file, saves HD space and some work :D

;)

Thats a great piece of information, thanks Crusader. Works fine. Looks like the first update [beta 0.41] will be arriving sooner than I expected. I found a misplaced factory building today so I will fix that as well. Probably do the update this evening. Regards.