Hi guys

I've a big problem:

how can I make the elevon's movement for my model: in the hieracy, they are tail and aileron too?

Can anybody help me to resolve this problem?

Best for all of you

Hi guys

I've a big problem:

how can I make the elevon's movement for my model: in the hieracy, they are tail and aileron too?

Can anybody help me to resolve this problem?

Best for all of you

NGHENGO,

Back in Okinawa again. Lovely mornings on the Rock. You might think of the elevons as operating together as part of the lifting job on the wings and independently as part of the roll mechanism for the pilot. They go up together and down together when adjusting the camber of the wing for the various stages in flight (e.g. landing - down as part of the flaps) and as independent opposites for roll control (one up the other down depending on the direction of the turn). Some aircraft limit the number of degrees of deflection depending on the flight condition (e.g. landing - down as part of the flaps - max deflection as part of the roll control for the desired response at low speed). Does this help?

uhhh, yeah, I don't think that was quite what he was asking...

NGHENGO, you might want to try, in your model's heirarchy, making "dummy" mesh nodes for your elevons elevation (a single vertex or very small cube would work) and attaching the roll motion to the real elevons, which have the dummy elevons as parents.

Example, in your model's heirarchy:

Wing

---->Elevon_Elevator (the dummy node)

--------->Elevon_Roll (the real elevon piece in the model)

Another way to do it, without having to create dummy nodes, is to use the SECONDARYINPUTNAME= command. For example, an all-moving canard that does pitch and roll:

[RCanard]

SystemType=CONTROL_SURFACE

InputName=PITCH_CONTROL

SecondaryInputName=ROLL_CONTROL

MaxDeflection=10.0

MinDeflection=-10.0

MovingSurface=TRUE

ControlRate=5.0

ModelNodeName=right_canard

ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE

RotationAxis=X-AXIS

ReverseInput=TRUE

However there is a problem with the SecondaryInput: a control can only respond to one type of input at the same time, meaning the control can't act as elevator and aileron simultaneously.

EDIT ---- Uh, oops! I seem to have responded to a thread that's about a year old. D'oh!

Edited by saint aj

uhhh, yeah, I don't think that was quite what he was asking...

NGHENGO, you might want to try, in your model's heirarchy, making "dummy" mesh nodes for your elevons elevation (a single vertex or very small cube would work) and attaching the roll motion to the real elevons, which have the dummy elevons as parents.

Example, in your model's heirarchy:

Wing

---->Elevon_Elevator (the dummy node)

--------->Elevon_Roll (the real elevon piece in the model)

Another way to do it, without having to create dummy nodes, is to use the SECONDARYINPUTNAME= command. For example, an all-moving canard that does pitch and roll:

[RCanard]

SystemType=CONTROL_SURFACE

InputName=PITCH_CONTROL

SecondaryInputName=ROLL_CONTROL

MaxDeflection=10.0

MinDeflection=-10.0

MovingSurface=TRUE

ControlRate=5.0

ModelNodeName=right_canard

ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE

RotationAxis=X-AXIS

ReverseInput=TRUE

However there is a problem with the SecondaryInput: a control can only respond to one type of input at the same time, meaning the control can't act as elevator and aileron simultaneously.

EDIT ---- Uh, oops! I seem to have responded to a thread that's about a year old. D'oh!

You're right. I'm just a dumb old pilot that responds to questions about aerodynamics like a dumb old pilot. Not at the skill level of the modders herein.