Sign in to follow this  
Hawker

Working NLG Steering - Most planes - MOD

UPDATE! April 7, 2003

Ver. 3 now available down below. Canopies have been slowed down

quite a bit opening and closing and look much better this way.

The file link is below, scroll way down.

(Many pics in here, note the nose gears and canopies)

This really bothered me from the first moment I flew SFP1. I can't stand taxiing around an airfield and seeing the nose gear NOT turn. So...

I've been doing lots of editing tonight to the aircraft_data.ini files and have gotten most NLG's to turn. Here are my findings.

A-4B - Good w/ working canopy for all A-4s.

A-4C - Good

A-4E - Good

F-4B - Good w/ working canopy for all F-4s.

F-4C - Good

F-4D - Good

F-4E - Good

F-4N - Good

F-100D - Good w/ working canopy.

F-104G - Good w/ working canopy.

F-105D - Good

IL-28 - Good

SU-7BM - Good w/ working canopy.

AN-12 - no moving strut parts, won't work.

F-86F - NLG steers but is oriented wrong. Gear turned 90

deg's upon mission startup. It's supposed to be forward

rolling.

F-89C - Needs aircraft_data file

Canopies work on all Migs!

MiG-15 - has no moving strut parts, won't work

MiG-17F - has no moving strut parts, won't work

MiG-19S - should work, has moving parts, need more LOD info.

MiG-21F - same as above, need more LOD info (same for all 21s)

SU-15F - same as above, need more LOD info

TU-22 - Works but is reversed (Left input results in NLG turning right)

If someone can point me to a program that can allow me to see the text in the LOD files, then I should be able to get just about all planes working well.

A Zip file is now posted below in this thread of this mod.

I'm also working on opening Canopy's using the H key (for arrestor hook). Many of the planes work now. More to come.

Update! First version just removed, a brand new update (Version 2) is further down this thread, grab it instead. It's better all the way around.

Hawker

Disclaimer - all of these files are working fine on my PC. Use at your own risk. If your PC decides to die after installing these files, it's probably NOT these files that did it! Heck, you probably were due for an upgrade anyways. ;)

I'm going to post an update later today that includes working canopies for some of the Russian planes. It's now using the airspeed mod where at around 15 mph the canopy closes for flight, and upon landing at around 15 to 20 mph the canopy opens. It's so cool because ALL the planes do it now. :D

Thanks to wpnssgt for posting info on this, and also TK, in a post over at SimHQ. It's very cool.

How is NLG controlled? By using left and right arrows? What about joystick?

Have not installed yet.....want to ask questions first!!!

Chief W.

How is NLG controlled? By using left and right arrows? What about joystick?

It's controlled by applying rudder input.

I've got just about all the Migs done (just canopy mod) now. Going to tinker some more with the other planes and make another post in a few hours.

Yup, the rudder is how you see it turn. Again, anyone who wants to put that zip on their website (those pics too) feel free. No problem by me.

Get it here. I added the speed activated canopies that open/close around 15-25 kts. Start rolling down the runway and they close. Land and slow down, they open. Neat stuff! The H key still works for the tailhooks, this was left in tact this way. Thanks to wpnssgt's post at SimHQ for this tip!

All the Migs have this now as well. The reason I feel this is kind of realistic is I was based in Cairo, Egypt back in 1993 (during Somalia conflict) and the F-4's that were coming and going would taxi around (even somewhat fast) with their canopies open (being a hot desert and all). So I really think it adds a lot to the game.

Also several planes still have same working NLG steering (visible gear turning).

To install just point this zip file to your C: drive (for those of you who installed it here... C:Program FilesStrategy FirstStrike Fighters

Just by pointing to your C: Drive all the files will end up where they need to go.

Enjoy. More to come (trying to get the windshield wiper working correctly on the A-4s now).

To those of you who have asked me about posting it on your sites, please do, but use this version 2 (above) instead of the first one please.

Thanks

From what my father has told me, you'd never taxi in the F-4 with the canopy down. Great addon!

Thanks Aladar. That's good to know from a pilot who knows. :)

You still working in SDOE these days? I haven't done much with it in a long time.

Pete

(This sim has really gotten my attention lately. It looks so great, runs so smooth, and the dogfighting is just a blast! Great work to TK and his team! I keep going back for "just one more mission.")

Holy moly! :shock: Thats Pete Hawk? LOL!! I had no friggin clue! In regard to SDOE, I haven't done anything with it since SF:P1 came out. This game is great, its customizable, its beautiful. It's pretty much my new SDOE. (But I'll always have a spot in my heart for that game :)) The F-84 (which originally started out for SDOE) is in SF but going very slowly... getting used to Max after using AC3D isn't easy, and some animation troubles have been holding me back.

Thanks!

I did try to mod the B-52 but it's pretty tricky. I don't think it will work how it is now unless struts and pistons are added to the gears. Would be cool though if it gets updated, I'd certainly work on it to get the NLG steering working.

WOW!!!!!! Saying THANKS for the mod does not seem enough. You have really added something special to the game. Good work. Can the canopy closing be slowed down at all? Trust me I am not complaing just asking.

Thanks, all the appreciation is great and pretty much unexpected. So I appreciate it. :)

Yes, it can be slowed down. I'll adjust all of the canopies and make a version 3 post in a day or two. Will start this today after work.

Still not much luck with the windshield wiper on the A-4 yet. It's animationID=9 in case anyone wants to try and get it working right. I was able to use the H key to watch it move from left to right then stop, but I have no idea how to have it repeat it's movement.

Here is the zip file again, version 3. Canopies have been slowed down

quite a bit opening and closing and look much better this way.

Have fun.

Hawker

Guest capun

Hawker

Can you upload the ini section with the windshield mods?

I can try to play around with it. Maybe there is a repeat or reset command for the ini. I know there is a reset for the views

CP

It's one of the A-4s, I'm not sure which one, but it has a wiper on it. If you simply change the Tailhook animationID to 9 I think it was it will work by pressing the H key. But it's getting the animation to keep repeating that's the kicker.

Not sure how to do that. So just change whatever it says for Tailhook to 9 and you can go from there.

Guest capun

Hawker

Sorry to bother you, I looked at your latest's file (V3) and the A-4 ini files do not see an animationID=9 or an animationID for the tailhook.

When I was playing with the ID's, normally I would have to change the ModelNodeName to activate it with the tailhook key. For example ModelNodeName=BombBay to activate the bomb bays with the H key (also having the correct animationID).

PERFECT!!!!!!! The speed now that the canopy closes is bang on. Keep up the good work. Thanks again for your time and effort.

Thanks ext. :)

Glad to hear it.

Capun,

Just add the line

AnimationID=9

and then it should work.

You shouldn't have to do anything with "modelnodename."

Guest capun

Hawker

Can't get the wipers to work. I don't know if it is just that I have too many mods. I had animated the Bomb Bays and slaved to the tailhook key before. This is what I did before:

[Tailhook]

SystemType=ARRESTOR_HOOK

MaxDeflection=0

AnimationID=3 ; Depending on the airplane

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=1.0

ModelNodeName=BombBay ; Either BombBay or CargoBay

The BombBay/CargoBay were declared in the INI file

This is what I have in the A-4E ini file

[Tailhook]

SystemType=ARRESTOR_HOOK

;Mod added ID

MaxDeflection=30.0

AnimationID=9

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=1.0

ModelNodeName=tailhook

Thx

I'll mess with it some more tonight and let you know how I got it to "somewhat" work.