Sign in to follow this  
NeverEnough

Fixing the Albatros

Love the stock Albatros DVA and the A-Team D3, but they both have really poor lateral response. Turns out the A-Team D3 data.ini is almost a direct copy of the stock DVA data.ini. In the Data.ini's MaxSpeedSL=51.39 meters per second (114.95 mph). Under the Control Surfaces section (just below the engine data portion) MaxControlSpeed=45.35 meters per second (101.44 mph) for the elevators and 44.38 meters per second (99.28 mph) for the ailerons and rudder.

I changed all these values to the same as the MaxSpeedSL=51.39 meters per second (114.95 mph), and suddenly the planes become pretty damn responsive! I fail to see why you would lose control authority on the control surfaces at a speed just barely above what would now be considered a stall speed. Normally as airflow over aerodynamic surfaces increases, it generates more lift. These planes can't fly fast enough to generate compression as they approach the speed of sound, so why reduce control authority at more than a fast walk?

If you like the Albatros, give the data.ini changes a spin. You'll like it!

Guest Charles

It sounds like it is worth a try.

BTW, the name of the entry "MaxControlSpeed" for control surfaces is a bit misleading, because it is not the speed at which the controls freeze, but rather the speed at which the controls are most responsive. The way TK has explained it is that the control curve is not really a curve but a straight line, starting at 0 and reaching it's peak at this number and then falling again after this speed is reached.

So adjusting MaxControlSpeed for (say) the Rudder upwards by a few metres per second should not result in an uber-aircraft, but it will have an effect.

And thanks for pointing out that MaxSpeedSL= figure for the Albatross D.III. It should be MaxSpeedSL=46.05, not 51.39.

Because of your discussion, I found another setting in the _DATA.INI that seems to make a big enough difference with response on the A-Team's DR1 and D3. For the moveable parts, aileron, etc., I changed the value for ControlRate= from the default of 4 or 5 to 11. I can break out of a hard bank much easier now. Am I dreaming?

Well forget tweaking the original DR1. Not needed. The new _DATA.INI file from the A-Team (for post FE patch) makes it just right. Way to go!

I don't know if anyone has done this trick yet, but add this correction to

the gun sections of the AlbatrosD3_DATA:

[internalGun1]

SystemType=FIXED_GUN

GunTypeName=7.92MM_SPANDAU_LMG08/15

InputName=FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN

GunGroup=1

MuzzlePosition=-0.1568,0.8085,0.5659

LightPosition=-0.1568,0.8085,0.5659

AimAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0 <------------------------------***

MaxAmmo=500

EjectShells=TRUE

EjectPosition=-0.17,-0.15,0.57

EjectVelocity=-1.25,0.0,-0.3

GunFireAnimationID=2

This will fix the sight/true aim point difference when sending lead down range.

Craigster

These planes can't fly fast enough to generate compression as they approach the speed of sound, so why reduce control authority at more than a fast walk?

Well, one thing to consider is the control systems these planes used. Many were rudimentary with no boost, counter weights, or assists of any kind or what they did have wasn't that efficient. So the faster they flew, the greater the air pressure on the control surfaces. The greater the air pressure, the greater the resistance to input, the less effective control input became. While the stock MaxControlSpeed may be low, its probably should be somewhat less than MaxSpeedSL.

Here is some additional information on the MaxControlSpeed function from Kreelin, the Strike Fighters Flight Model Major Guru, over on the Thirdwire forums:

"MaxControlSpeed = The max speed where the component is working at 100 %. Above this speed, it starts to be "freezed" slowly

LockOutSpeed = The speed where the component will be "locked" completely..."

Thanks for all the additional input, folks!