Sign in to follow this  
Redddevil911

AirBus A380

This is a great news story from the USAToday. I don't know about the rest of you, but I kind of think of this as a great day in aviation history. I'm an aviation nut so for me this stuff is great! I missed the Moon landings, I wasn't even born yet, but his kind of thing is right up there for me! Make it bigger, better or faster and I'm all for it!

This is one bloody big plane and I can't wait until I have to fly over sea's I'm going to use a carrier that has the A380 in the fleet I have to get my ass in one of those seats. I'll be like a kid on Christmas morning!

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2007-03-22-a380_N.htm

Edited by Redddevil911

Just wonder if there will be an Airbus around when the plane does officially launch. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have government launch subsidies.

Go Boeing!

Super61

Just wonder if there will be an Airbus around when the plane does officially launch. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have government launch subsidies.

Go Boeing!

actually they're commercial loans but it happens on both sides of the Atlantic in 1 form or another.

actually they're commercial loans but it happens on both sides of the Atlantic in 1 form or another.

Agreed, but the extent of the subsidies and the EU's ability to look the other way really doesn't provide a fair, competitive advantage. I'm not saying Boeing is an angel either, however, the Airbus Consortium at times seems like a supra-national airline with implicit government-type backing.

Agreed, but the extent of the subsidies and the EU's ability to look the other way really doesn't provide a fair, competitive advantage. I'm not saying Boeing is an angel either, however, the Airbus Consortium at times seems like a supra-national airline with implicit government-type backing.

Thats a huge part of the problem. Don't put the government in anything that involves free enterprise. When you start mixing multi governments, it gets even worse. I applaud the way that Airbus is approaching the consortium, but if one weak link in the chain fails, Airbus gets too far behind to keep up with the industry.

Airbus' complaint seems to stem from the fact that they're civil aircraft-only and don't like competing against a company that does civil and military.

No one is stopping them from going military, too. Actually, their tanker and transport programs are military as well. However, since Airbus is multinational and most countries want a national defense company and not multinational, they face an uphill battle there.

I doubt Boeing will split in half to satisfy them.

The funny thing is Boeing also does rockets, yet I don't recall Airbus complaining about that. Oh, that's right, they don't do that either.

The companies are NOT equal. Perhaps their civil aircraft subsidiaries are (which in Airbus is the whole company), but not the rest. Both sides need to acknowledge that.