Sign in to follow this  
Fates

ArmA Gold in NA

Atari's 'ArmA Combat Operations' Goes Gold announces the completion of development on the North American edition of Bohemia Interactive's military first-person shooter that's already available in parts of Europe under the title ArmA: Armed Assault (thanks Gamer's Hell). Word is the game will be available in U.S. stores on May 1:

NEW YORK, April 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR - News), one of the world's most recognized brands and a third-party video game publisher, today announced that ArmA: Combat Operations has gone gold and is on schedule to ship to stores nationwide on May 1. Developed by Bohemia Interactive, ArmA: Combat Operations is a military combat simulation game and will be available for the Windows platform for the suggested retail price of $39.95. The game is currently available in Europe under the name ArmA: Armed Assault.

In ArmA: Combat Operations, players will engage in a story-driven single- player campaign or take part in huge multiplayer battles with more than 50 players on one battlefield simultaneously. Featuring a vast environment with more than 250 square miles to explore, ArmA: Combat Operations allows players to pilot or drive more than 30 vehicles including APCs, tanks, self-propelled anti-aircraft guns, helicopters and fighter planes. The game features an extremely powerful built-in editor which encourages players to create and share complex missions as well as import user-created units and maps.

"Fans of Operation Flashpoint have been eagerly awaiting the next game from the talented team at Bohemia Interactive," said Jeremiah Cohn, Product Manager, Atari, Inc. "We are thrilled to deliver an incredibly realistic military combat title for the PC."

ArmA: Combat Operations will offer the ultimate realistic combat simulation experience in a modern day setting. With exceptional freedom of movement, actions and tactics, the game allows players to immerse themselves in realistic and engaging battles.

For more information on ArmA: Combat Operations, please visit www.atari.com/arma.

I hope they improve it, the UK version was killing me, that's why I deleted it.

The UK version was "killing you"? I'm not sure what that means!

I've got a copy of the German DVD patched to 1.05 which allows playing in any language (just change language= in the .cfg file) and it's great.

We have found a line or two in the profile file WRT enemy abilities--enemySkill and enemy Precision. The first is how smart they are, the 2nd is how well they shoot.

By default, both start at .85. That is pretty much godlike. I've got mine lowered to about .33 and the game is so much more enjoyable as you live longer. You might think that at 1/3 of max they'd be a pushover, but far from it. I find it a decent challenge now. Maybe one day I'll push it all the way up to .5! :grin:

Yeah the low framerates was killing me really so I figure that around 1800 I can get good frames (lighting effects are the culprit) but knowing most people can't stand the night, it'd be always a day mission, so yeah...

As for skill...? I don't understand why all of a sudden enemy forces are somehow better trained in a game, vs. real life. But you go on the BI boards and everybody's an expert, so whatever.

You know, I don't know if I've ever gone to the BIS forums!