Sign in to follow this  
SDirickson

Army Aviation Question

How do you go about becoming a comissioned pilot for the Army? I know most helo pilots are warrant officers, but aren't there still commissioned pilots of both helos and fixed wing aircraft in the Army? All the recruiters I have asked can't tell me a single thing about becoming one.

personaly I'd steer ya to the REAL airwing..Marine Air! CAS..CAS and more CAS.F/A-18s,Harriers,and assorted attack helos.

talk to a recruiter..all Marines start in the same place..but i believe you have to have a college degree to become an aviator.

Guest Ranger332

THe Amry has CAS and The Army has The Worlds best Night Attack Helo force The NightStalkers.

http://www.nightstalkers.com/

http://www.armyav.org/

http://www.nightstalkers.com/history/index.html

deathwaitsg8.gif

To accomplish this task, the Army turned to the 101st Aviation Group of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. The division possessed the greatest number and variety of helicopters of any unit within the Army, and thus showed the greatest potential for the rapid development of a rotary wing special operations capability. The 101 Aviation was the one that opened the Aircorridor for the Airforce to start bombinmg. They attacked the Radar instalations before any Airforce jet entered Enemy airspace. I konw IWAS THERE>

When the air war began on 17 January 1991, TF 3/160 had two missions. The first mission was to provide MH-47s to support the pre-H-hour attack of Iraqi air defense ground control intercept sites. The task force also provided fuel bladder aircraft to refuel AH-64 attack helicopters from the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). The operation was successful. The second mission was to forward deploy to Rafha and to conduct CSAR missions into Iraq to pick up downed allied pilots. TF 3/160 retained the CSAR mission throughout the war,.

BUT talk to a recruiter..

Guest Ranger332

THe Amry has CAS and The Army has The Worlds best Night Attack Helo force The NightStalkers.

http://www.nightstalkers.com/

http://www.armyav.org/

http://www.nightstalkers.com/history/index.html

http://www.aviation.army.mil/

deathwaitsg8.gif

To accomplish this task, the Army turned to the 101st Aviation Group of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. The division possessed the greatest number and variety of helicopters of any unit within the Army, and thus showed the greatest potential for the rapid development of a rotary wing special operations capability.

When the air war began on 17 January 1991, TF 3/160 had two missions. The first mission was to provide MH-47s to support the pre-H-hour attack of Iraqi air defense ground control intercept sites. The task force also provided fuel bladder aircraft to refuel AH-64 attack helicopters from the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). The operation was successful. The second mission was to forward deploy to Rafha and to conduct CSAR missions into Iraq to pick up downed allied pilots. TF 3/160 retained the CSAR mission throughout the war. They opened tha Aircorrador before any Airforce entered any emeny airspace. I KNOW I WAS THERE.

BUT talk to a recruiter..colorcrest2.jpg

http://www-rucker.army.mil/

http://leav-www.army.mil/wocc/

http://leav-www.army.mil/wocc/

http://www.campbell.army.mil/campbell.htm

101hdr.gif

http://www.campbell.army.mil/160soar.htm

On 28 September 1990, LTC Cody received the order to task organize for a special operations mission designated "Normandy." Task Force Normandy was given the mission to destroy key Iraqi early warning radar sites in order to provide the air campaign with a radar free route into Iraq. As a result, there were numerous training missions and live fire rehearsals during the next few months preparing the eight AH-64 crews for the mission. On 18 December 1990 the battalion conducted the first ever live-fire exercise with the extended range fuel tanks installed on an Apache.

On 10 January 1991, Task Force Normandy conducted its final rehearsal and prepared to depart for Al Jouf in western Saudi Arabia. At 0238 hours on 17 January 1991, Task Force Normandy fired the "first shots" of the Allied Offensive, destroying two Iraqi early warning/ground control intercept radar sites. This opened a radar-black corridor to Baghdad and validated years of training, preparation, and hard work. Thus, also marking the beginning of Operation Desert Storm.

maybe contact an army officer if you can or contact an officer in the national guard in your town/area and they can tell you more or at least tell you where/how to answer your question. just a thought.

Guest Ranger332

that can work but they may try to "pull" you into the Guard, if you want it part time that may be a way to go. If your in collage they can assist your ed. funding.

An enlistment office is the best way to go as they can give you info on both active,and reserve sides of the house.

What state are you in Ill chech on poc (points of contact) in your area

just read your in Texas to Ill get you some info by the weekend,have to report in soon.

Guest Ranger332

https://ssl.webhost4life.com/stookeware/con...ontactform.html

this is an online service-------------but be warned once your in it they might "hound" ya some lol but check out all the branches as now all have some form of special Air Wing,or operations section.In the service it best to get one that fits what you want,as it not a job you can just quit.

Well... I may be a little biased, but there is NO BETTER aviator than a NAVAL AVIATOR. Bottom line, and all the other forces know it.

And Ranger... GO NAVY BEAT ARMY! :)

-Skater

skater@biohazcentral.com

Guest Ranger332

if thats so then way did the navy wait till the Army cleared the way for the fixed wings to bomb? :?: :?: :?: :?:

if thats so then way did the navy wait till the Army cleared the way for the fixed wings to bomb? :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Simple... Naval Aviator are worth too much. It was just the bean counters doing the math. Besides, why should the Navy let their expensive aviators dirty their pretty white uniforms. :D

Let the Army do the hard work for a change. :lol:

-Skater

skater@biohazcentral.com

Guest Ranger332

for a change lol

yr

A Marine or Navy can inter an area but let one Army soldier inter the same area and by law its an act of war.

THEY SEND US WHEN IT REAL 8) :thumbup:

BUT i WILL GIVE THEM A SALUTE FOR CARRIER LANDINGS THE HARDEST LANDING IN THE WORLD.

I always was amused with the interservice rivalries. Most of it was just talk and could be pretty amusin' Some of those guys were pretty quick witted, hehe. Even saw a few brawls if they were too proud to back down or walk away. Heck, the guys would fight even if you were in the same branch, just different MOS. But let a civilian stick his nose in it, be he cop or what, and all of a sudden, everyone was in the "military", there was no different branches, and that "civvie" best have lots 'o bandades, hehe. Kind of a rehearsal for when the politicians screwed things up and we'd go to war again. Suddenly everyone tries hard to work together again no matter the branch.

Bein a former Marine in the Navy, I tended to be a target for both sides, hehe. That was alright. I wasnt no boxer, but if I connected, the "recipient" was usually missin somethin, like a tooth or two, or maybe gettin close and personal with the pavement, hehe. Funny thing was, I dont ever recall anyone reachin for a gun or knife. That was for wusses and women. Men used their fists, face to face. And the really odd part, was after a fight, the two goin at it had a good chance of becomin freinds afterwards...somethin about respect, and earnin it...

Sorry, sometimes I blabber too much. Just a little story of "old times"... :wink:

Guest Ranger332

true very true sorta like two brothers fighting let an outsider get involved and they teamup to beat his but then go right back to fighting lol

The reason I was asking is cuz right now I'm signed up for the Army's Early Commissioning Program. I didn't get an appointment to the AF Academy (For really a pretty s**tty reason, but thats another story) and right now NROTC is having problems getting their act together. NROTC just sent me a letter saying it'll be till mid-June before they announce scholarship recipients. So... ECP at NMMI is my current plan.

More than anything, I want to be a pilot, and it doesn't matter what I fly so long as it's combat. Helicopters are my first choice, but I want to make sure I'm an officer instead of a WO, so thats why I'm a bit hesitant about the Army. I've asked my local recruiters, and they can't tell me anything about Army Aviation cept the quickest way is to be a WO.

I was in two different branches of the armed forces, but because of my job i was not crazy about either of them(USAF/USA)

Guest Ranger332

well to me warrent was the "perfect" ramg the correct tilte for them is "Mister" which applies to both MIL,and CIV. lol. did you check the links I gave you in prior postings?

Also note helos are the hardest thing to fly, sorta like balencing on two basketballs,while standing on a 2x4. Its stated the helos dont fly they beat the air into submission lol

I always was amused with the interservice rivalries. Most of it was just talk and could be pretty amusin' Some of those guys were pretty quick witted, hehe. Even saw a few brawls if they were too proud to back down or walk away. Heck, the guys would fight even if you were in the same branch, just different MOS. But let a civilian stick his nose in it, be he cop or what, and all of a sudden, everyone was in the "military", there was no different branches, and that "civvie" best have lots 'o bandades, hehe. Kind of a rehearsal for when the politicians screwed things up and we'd go to war again. Suddenly everyone tries hard to work together again no matter the branch.  

Bein a former Marine in the Navy, I tended to be a target for both sides, hehe. That was alright. I wasnt no boxer, but if I connected, the "recipient" was usually missin somethin, like a tooth or two, or maybe gettin close and personal with the pavement, hehe. Funny thing was, I dont ever recall anyone reachin for a gun or knife. That was for wusses and women. Men used their fists, face to face. And the really odd part, was after a fight, the two goin at it had a good chance of becomin freinds afterwards...somethin about respect, and earnin it...

Sorry, sometimes I blabber too much. Just a little story of "old times"... :wink:

Not at all PCP... Been there and done that (and lost a tooth or two to the Marine who was a wee bit quicker) at least 50 times. We always, or almost always, had a beer together afterward.

Brings back memories...

BTW, Ranger... Army pukes suck. :D

And PCP... Marines are just bums who need a ride on a fine Navy ship. :D

-Skater

skater@biohazcentral.com

Guest Ranger332

THE NAVY COULDENT EVEN PROTECT ITS OWN SHIPS HENCE THE FORMATION OF THE MARINES TILL THEY SPLIT OFF (sorta thier pay checks still say Dept. of Navy)

The ARMY has preformed more amphib ops then even the Marines (look it up the largest D-Day). and if the Army sukd the navy blows lol

and we even have our onw navy L.A.R.C. look that one up !

(LARGE ANPHIBIOUS ROLLOFF CARGO)

Guest Ranger332

SHIPS?

NEEDLEST TO SAY WE HAVE OUR OWN

8) :thumbup:

OFFLOADED AND SENT BY ONE tRANS COMPENY OFF SHIP

During the 62 day period from 29 January 1971 to 31 March 1971 the following notable statistics are listed:

I. a. 98,649 miles driven total (Loaded) or 1,591 miles per day

b. 30,118 tons moved total or 486 tons per day

c. 1,267,233 ton miles total or 20,333 ton miles per day

d. 3,588 total loads moved or 58 loads moved per day

e. 1.6 loads per tractor per day on dispatch

f. 8.4 tons per average load

An average of 5 tractors per day were used for various shuttles where no tonnage was accrued.

II. a. A total of 251 recommendations for awards have been submitted to include:

(1) Distinguished Service Cross 1

(2) Bronze Star w/"V" Device 7

(3) Bronze Star for Achievement 8

(4) Bronze Star for Service 1

(5) Army Commendation Medal w/"V" Device 34

(6) Army Commendation Medal for Achievement 70

(7) Purple Heart Medal 4

(8) Vietnamese Staff Service Medal, First Class 5

(9) Vietnamese Technical Service Medal, 2nd Class 131

Guest Ranger332

ARMY ASSUMES COMMAND OF ITS FIRST THEATER SUPPORT VESSEL

WARREN, MI -- On November 20, 2002, the U.S. Army took acceptance of its first Theater Support Vessel TSV-1X, “USAV Spearhead,” in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

The U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM), on behalf of the Program Executive Office for Combat Service & Combat Service Support (PEO CS & CSS) and PM Force Projection are leasing the vessel from Bollinger/Incat USA.

Brig. Gen. Roger A. Nadeau, PEO CS & CSS, speaking at the acceptance ceremony told guests on board USAV Spearhead they were “riding on the leading edge of a changing Army.” He said the high-speed catamaran, which follows the Incat-built HSV-X1 Joint Venture, would “reduce the logistics footprint” with its speed and ease of movement.

USAV Spearhead is part of the Advanced Concept Technology Demonstration (ACTD) program. An ACTD is a joint effort by the acquisition and operational (warfighter) communities within the Department of Defense (DoD). Typically, ACTDs begin by identifying significant military needs, and then matching them with technology programs ready to focus on a military application. The process has a close tie to the Joint Vision 2020 initiative and new capabilities are pursued within each of the operational concepts of dominant maneuver, precision engagement, focused logistics, full dimensional protection and information superiority.

USAV Spearhead is a 98-meter wave piercing catamaran and is critical to the Army’s ability to perform its Title 10, intra-theater lift mission. It will be used to maximize its speed and flexibility to deliver ready to fight combat troops, sustainment deliveries and the movement of Army prepositioned stocks.

USAV Spearhead has an all Army crew under the command of Chief Warrant Officer Four (CW4) William Davis of the 7th Transportation Group, Fort Eustis, Va. The crew of USAV Spearhead is completing its training and will be ready to conduct a variety of missions designed to evaluate the vessel while supporting soldiers throughout the world.

You call that a ship?

This is a ship...

Guest Ranger332

no dum dum thats a CARRIER lol----silly Navy:) NEXT you;ll be calling it an L.H.A. (bye the bye thats meane to the dialups otherwise Idd get a big picture) by the way who dose the ship security--- ya call them MARINES? lol. oh yes and the Marines off the USS Forestall did real bad at the Marine Anphib Warfare School in LIL Creek VA. We over ran them three times brfore graduating from that school.

During the school the Marine Capt. took us to a live fire bayonet range reather the run the 75-150 meters to engage the targets we shot at them from the line. The Capt. had a fit and shoted "thats not the Marine way" we replied "We aint Marines" lol

Guest Ranger332

two salors go to a Marine base to get pay as they are on liberty,as they get to the gate the Marine smacked the driver in the face with his nightstick,The navy driver ask WTF was that for spitting out two teeth. The Marine responded" When I get to your door I want your ID card ,and pass shown so I can Inspect it without delay". The Marine then walked to the other side. Getting there He Smacked the other Sailor in the chops where upon three teeth feel out . Why the heck you do that he asked, The Marine responed "Iam Just Making Your Wish Come True"------And What the Heck is that. Well when I hit your buddy I know you thought "I wish he would try that on me".

For some reason I remember the Navy having these things called "Boarding Parties", made up of sailors, well before anyone thought of having a specialized landing force.

And I do believe the navy has a sh*load of small arms on board just in case (right), I've seen pictures in my dad's old cruise book of hundreds of M-1's (I assume they've moved to M-16's now).

For you marines, I will say this the restaraunt on Paris Island blows (so did the coffee at graduation), and the swamp is pussy ass!!! And have any of you (marine or army) had to do any training in the St. Johns river basin... you know for swamp training.