Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Whirlwind over Vietnam..

it looks good and the sounds are good..ok other than that it's a half finished alpha build at best.I tried it and was lucky enough to have the place I bought it take it back and give me a full refund.

Perhaps in the future when they finish it I'll take another look.it comes with 10 missions,no MP,no mission builder,and loads of bugs.

I was going to do a review but I couldn't even play it long enough for that.

Everything I've heard out there agrees with your assessment. Totally unfinished.

I think your above review was just perfect ... maybe we should publish it? :oops:

no..other than eye candy and the sound it's all negitive.

Yeah, publish it! Call it "the unfinished review for an unfinished product." :grin:

to be honest I didn't even try it long enough to make a review...after having trouble with joystick,and throttle,and well some really poor game play(I never saw the enemy everyone says was there)and my wingman flying straight down into the ground..I gave up.got maybe 2 missions flown,and don't even think I could have played any more,it was just to painful.I wish someone from 1c would explain how they could have published a pre-alpha game as finished.after the IL-2 series I expected so much more.

Well, 1C is the publisher. Maddox did Il-2, but G5 did this one. According to some Russian posters, they've done a couple of other games and all have been just as badly done as this one.

Guest IndioBlack
it looks good and the sounds are good..ok other than that it's a half finished alpha build at best.I tried it and was lucky enough to have the place I bought it take it back and give me a full refund.

Perhaps in the future when they finish it I'll take another look.it comes with 10 missions,no MP,no mission builder,and loads of bugs.

That is disappointing. What exactly is unfinished about it ? Do the bugs stop you completing missions or does it just crash a lot ?

Presumably if it's so bad that its unplayable, it won't sell very well, and then there will be no requirement for a patch to address any problem issues.

Most Sims get released with a few bugs, but the take-up in sales is enough to keep the patches coming. CFS3 for instance had serious problems with level bombing until the first patch, but Microsoft had the clout to keep it going. Even if they abandoned it soon after.

It would be a shame if Whirlwind just ended up in the sales bins without a chance to move forward, because the subject matter is just fascinating.

I wonder if the authors got pushed into releasing it too early by the money-men, as happened with the last few Janes releases, prior to their demise ?

well it's totally porked as far as picking up your inputs with a stick,and your wingmen fly stright down alot and just go away.I never saw any enemy troops they talk about.the only way to fly a mission and actually finish it is to put it on auto pilot,follow the way points,and let the game run it's self.theres only 10 missions(I think it's 10)and thats it..no editor or anything.theres so many bugs that theres no way to discribe it.I give this one 2 stars out of 10,and thats just for the graphics and the sound is about 50% of what it should have been but is better than most.

Hello,

Can some please help me?I found this forum about Whirlwind over VN, too late. I had already bought the game, and tried to install it. At this point, I can't even play the game. It keeps crashing on me. So I am not sure what to do? I tried to return it to the store, but they could only give me another copy of the game. And when I tried to install it for a second time, same result. I tried to contact the company who made it but, they never pick up the phone. I also tried to email them, with no luck.

I am running the game with the listed minimum requirements. Any ideas? Thank you.

Doug

Hello,

Can some please help me?I found this forum about Whirlwind over VN, too late. I had already bought the game, and tried to install it. At this point, I can't even play the game. It keeps crashing on me. So I am not sure what to do? I tried to return it to the store, but they could only give me another copy of the game. And when I tried to install it for a second time, same result. I tried to contact the company who made it but, they never pick up the phone. I also tried to email them, with no luck.

I am running the game with the listed minimum requirements. Any ideas? Thank you.

Doug

Well....im no genius, but i guess you better upgrade your machine.... :biggrin:

From what I've heard, your experience is not unusual, unfortunately. This game was released in more or less a beta-state, only with so many features missing I'd almost call it an alpha!

Hello,

Doug

Hey Doug,

I am having the exact same problem that you are describing. I can't even get the game to load. I tried restarting the PC, defraging the hard drive, uninstalling the game and reinstalling the game, updating my graphics drivers and finally making sure my Windows operating system was up to date wtih the latest patches.

I tried to find an update for this game from the publisher's web site but, none appear to be available as of yet. I was so excited to fly the Huey in Veitnam combat I failed to read the reviews here first. It looks like I got had big time by purchasing this game. This really sucks! I can't even get the game to work in order to give it an honest review. Can anyone help us? I have the Recommended System Requirements inside my PC to play the game. All except I have a 128MB video card and not a 512MB card. But, it does still meet all other requirments on the box.

Kelly

Hey Doug,

I am having the exact same problem that you are describing. I can't even get the game to load. I tried restarting the PC, defraging the hard drive, uninstalling the game and reinstalling the game, updating my graphics drivers and finally making sure my Windows operating system was up to date wtih the latest patches.

I tried to find an update for this game from the publisher's web site but, none appear to be available as of yet. I was so excited to fly the Huey in Veitnam combat I failed to read the reviews here first. It looks like I got had big time by purchasing this game. This really sucks! I can't even get the game to work in order to give it an honest review. Can anyone help us? I have the Recommended System Requirements inside my PC to play the game. All except I have a 128MB video card and not a 512MB card. But, it does still meet all other requirments on the box.

Kelly

When and if ya do even get the game to load good luck on your joystick and throttle working.Throttle works fine but try using the cyclic,it just will not work.Not only me but a good deal of other people just cant get up,down,left and right movements on a joystick to work.If you try contacting evolved games or G5 they will never respond with a reply either.Tech support does not exist for this title.A total ripoff and in my honest opinion companies should be charged criminally with fraud for selling complete crap like this.

It had so much promise but they totally goofed it up.

Edited by Akwar

I must be the odd one here, I purchased WoV on a DD ($9.99) and had no problems with the install on my Vista 64 HPE and had no problems assigning inputs to my joystick (a lowly Logitech X3D). Flying is tricky, but my Uncle who was an US Army chopper pilot in Vietnam has told me flying a chopper is more demanding then piloting an airplane. He likened it to trying to balance on top of a pin. The game does have glitches like disappearing crew members from time to time, and finding the target is almost impossible without using the target box feature. Although I have flown over rice paddys and seen several black claded VC with AK-47's running for cover. My rig (Intel Q4 2.33mhz, nVida GT120 1gb with 8gb ram) struggles with single digit FPS with everything maxed during heavy activity (mid range settings get 35-60 FPS depending on activity) so this game might be GFX intense (there are lots of tree's) or the code isn't refined enough. But I have played the game on and off for several months and have to honestly say I have paid more for a lot worse. Had G5 stayed in the PC simulation distubution market I think some patches from the games developer could have made this one a classic. But even with it's warts it does offer a limited look into a very overlooked early period of attack helocopters at war.

I got this long ago and have been only mildly playing with reverse engineering certain parts of it. The textures are all coded in .tex files which you need a scientific viewer to see. No dds or dxt3 here! There is a mission builder included but because the documentation sucked so horribly bad you would not know that nor are there any instructions on how to actually use it. The eye candy, very well rendered cockpits and gunships themselves are the reason I got it. As a Huey 3D Designer it's what drove me to waste my money on it.

The sim also has some very advanced built in helicopter dynamics that most people just leave out so junior Johnson can just pick up his joystick and fly. Who builds in blade stall? Well they did so even getting off the ground can be problematic for people used to just throttling up and off we go.

Sucked overall but with some decent coding it might be possible to resurrect it and make it what it should have been. I'd be willing to buy all the code just to continue the work and have a true Vietnam helicopter gunship simulator out there.

]

I must be the odd one here, I purchased WoV on a DD ($9.99) and had no problems with the install on my Vista 64 HPE and had no problems assigning inputs to my joystick (a lowly Logitech X3D). Flying is tricky, but my Uncle who was an US Army chopper pilot in Vietnam has told me flying a chopper is more demanding then piloting an airplane. He likened it to trying to balance on top of a pin. The game does have glitches like disappearing crew members from time to time, and finding the target is almost impossible without using the target box feature. Although I have flown over rice paddys and seen several black claded VC with AK-47's running for cover. My rig (Intel Q4 2.33mhz, nVida GT120 1gb with 8gb ram) struggles with single digit FPS with everything maxed during heavy activity (mid range settings get 35-60 FPS depending on activity) so this game might be GFX intense (there are lots of tree's) or the code isn't refined enough. But I have played the game on and off for several months and have to honestly say I have paid more for a lot worse. Had G5 stayed in the PC simulation distubution market I think some patches from the games developer could have made this one a classic. But even with it's warts it does offer a limited look into a very overlooked early period of attack helocopters at war.

Good review. I've always considered WoV a diamond in the rough. My father flew hueys with C Co 227th in Vietnam. I grew up learning about torgue, collective, cyclic, density air, dynamic rollover, blade stall, ground vortex and all sorts of things that most people don't talk about over a meal at Western Sizzler.

I still think with some more work this would be the pinnacle for a Vietnam gunship sim.

Other than that, I make my own Huey gunships with working armament so I can light it all up.

post-76995-0-97994600-1333204520.jpg.

post-76995-0-75326300-1333204546.jpg

post-76995-0-18021100-1333204755.jpg

• Like 1

Hello! I am trying to run the game under Windows 10 operating system. I click the fly button, it starts loading the game and exits at the end of loading. Note that there is no sound in the game. I meet the requirements of the game system. Would someone please send me a fix for the game because it is no longer available online.   Thank you in advance for your help!

Edited by fonok79

I vaguely remember solving the same problem by putting the attached dll into game's folder (where WV.exe is). But I am using Win7, so no idea whether it will work with Win10.

msvcr71.dll