Sign in to follow this  
Stretch32

Newb Questions about SFP1

I'm I bit new to SFP1 after having picked it up several years ago and never really playing it. I've been looking around on the net and have discovered this sim has a ton of support. I've been looking to get into it a little as I really like the 50's and 60's time frame. I have a few questions that are probably general info but I'm not sure about it. Here goes:

I've got SFP1 (non-Walmart with patch and service pack installed and working) and want to know if all the terrrains, carriers and other freeware add-ons and downloads for all the other thirdwire stuff can be added to it? Basically can you use SFP1 to build all the flight sims available (WW1, WWII and the newer European stuff) or do you have to by each one individually and then build them up?

Do the ships, like carriers, actually move or are they static like FS2004? Do you need to add arrestor wires to the carriers or are they all inclusive in the download?

Basically, I'd like to do WW1 and the Cold War, Modern with carriers so I need to know if you can use SFP1 as the base to all these things or if I should get a different version that may be better and build it up say WOV or First Eagles? I'd like to keep what I have and build it up if possible but any info ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Stretch

I'm I bit new to SFP1 after having picked it up several years ago and never really playing it. I've been looking around on the net and have discovered this sim has a ton of support. I've been looking to get into it a little as I really like the 50's and 60's time frame. I have a few questions that are probably general info but I'm not sure about it. Here goes:

I've got SFP1 (non-Walmart with patch and service pack installed and working) and want to know if all the terrrains, carriers and other freeware add-ons and downloads for all the other thirdwire stuff can be added to it? Basically can you use SFP1 to build all the flight sims available (WW1, WWII and the newer European stuff) or do you have to by each one individually and then build them up?

Do the ships, like carriers, actually move or are they static like FS2004? Do you need to add arrestor wires to the carriers or are they all inclusive in the download?

Basically, I'd like to do WW1 and the Cold War, Modern with carriers so I need to know if you can use SFP1 as the base to all these things or if I should get a different version that may be better and build it up say WOV or First Eagles? I'd like to keep what I have and build it up if possible but any info ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Stretch

Yes, Carriers do move and you can operate from them :biggrin:

You can find a thread on this forum about adding ships to Strike Fighters.

You should really check it out :wink:

You should be able to use a lot of Mods with SFP1 - my advice is:

Read the readmes for each mod;

Test 1 mod at a time to make sure it works - ie dont try and do too much at onece - it will be a mess!

Best to create a new install of the game for each Campaign - dont need to install it again - just copy the entire game folder to another location - rename it to WW1 for example - then use the sfp.exe file in that install to run it as separate.

The readmes are usually poor documentation and assume you already know things so also see the knowledge base on this site;

If you get stuck ask here or search old posts here and simHQ - most things have been covered.

Edited by CoolHand29

You could especially as doing multiple installs is so easy but the sims are cheap (at least over here) so if you appreciate them & would like to help keep TK working on them please consider buying them.

How many other developers update their old games core game engine to that of their latest for free (which is what TK does with patches) even several years later & when they are out of print?