Sign in to follow this  
Baxter

Is this possible

I read that the Belgian Ace Willie Coppens ended up on top of an enemy balloon and managed to turn off his engine and slide off before it crashed to earth. Is it possible in this sim to land a plane on top of a balloon, or would the damage modelling prevent this happening?

I haven't tried it but I doubt it can be done. I think the collision/damage model would prevent it.

Ha, ha,

I don't think I had FE more than a week back in Nov or Dec when I tried to land on Hinchinbrook's zep... a la Willy Coppens mishap... :crazy:

Just had to find out myself if it could be done, and sadly nope, you can't do it in FE, but wouldn't it be FUN!!!

In most games collision models are vastly simplified. You couldn't do things in game that they could do in real life because in the games the planes either simply explode on contact or they shatter at the slightest touch.

I was watching that "Dogfights" show on the History Channel, and in the MiG Alley episode there's a story of how a pilot PUSHED his fuel-leaking wingman to friendly territory so he could bail out safely over water. Unfortunately, the pilot got tangled in the chute lines and drowned, but the technique worked for those F-86's. He hooked the top of his nose inlet into the bottom of the other's tail exhaust and gently bumped it along.

Try that in ANY sim and you'll get destruction.